Short snider shells??

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of this brass? It's 1 5/8 long and otherwise almost identical to 577 snider. And snider bullet just drops in. When resized it takes it fine but when fired it opens up again.
 
I have 5 of these cartridges (empty) head stamped Dominion Cartridge Co. 57 Snider.
They were for a paper crimped shot cartridge. I have two originals.
Those 5 cases kept my rifle shooting until my brass arrived from Buffalo Arms.
 
I see. I did have two of them with shot and three with a bullet. Can I load them with lead shot? Would it work well for something like birds?
 
I have no experience with shot loads in the Snider. I've only loaded with conicals or round ball. I've only the 2 factory shot loads and don't plan on testing them. It looks like 6 or 7 1/2 shot and is intended, no doubt, for small game.
 
The original coiled Boxer Snider cases had a papier mache wad in the base of the case and an over powder wad totalling about 3/8"in length. When solid drawn balloon head cases were introduced they were way over capacity. To fill this space some manufacturers like Kynoch put a cardboard tube in the full length case. Other makers like Dominion shortened the case to 1 5/8".
 
I have a paper cartridge with a brass base similar to old shotshell cartridges. It came with some coiled brass and balloon head 57 Snider cartridges from an uncle. Could the shotshell explanation explain just what this is? Seems identical to the Snider casings except for being made of paper/cardboard.
 
I have a paper cartridge with a brass base similar to old shotshell cartridges. It came with some coiled brass and balloon head 57 Snider cartridges from an uncle. Could the shotshell explanation explain just what this is? Seems identical to the Snider casings except for being made of paper/cardboard.

For some reason I think these were blanks. I have a couple at home here as well.

The original rounds were also paper cased but had the bullet obviously
 
Back
Top Bottom