Barrel remover..

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I don't want to start an argument, but what's the best stuff to soak an old handgun frame in to loosen things up a bit? I have on old Colt SAA that's a bit crusty, would like to swap some parts on without wrecking to much stuff. Thanks for any ideas, Bill..
 
But, good luck finding Kroil on the hardware shelf.

I have been soaking rusted parts in diesel fuel instead of various fluids in spray or spritz bottles to loosen things.
 
Kroil absolutely but a "trick" an old AME taught mewas to slather on the Kroil, wait a bit, slather on more than "whack" the part with a deadblow hammer. Seems the vibrations opens minute cracks in the the rust/crud for the Kroil to penetrate. I've also used ATF ( automatic transmission fluid) but its messy and nasty.
 
You can soak and original SAA colt with its original factory installed barrel in penatrateing oil for a month, in almost all cases it wont help to get the barrel unscrewed.
PM sent to OP .
 
Back
Top Bottom