black powder/ triple 7/ pyrodex 455 loads?

infidel29

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
548   0   2
Location
Alberta
So, I am a newbie to reloading. I am looking to reload for my Schofield and SAA in 455 Webley. I will be using the fiocchi Mk ii brass, jet hunters soft cast 455 boolits (i forget the bullet weight) and probably a bp substitute like 777 or pyrodex over bp for ease of cleaning. I know the original bp load was 18 grains by volume of bp. What loads are you guys using, and what is the most you've used? Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll be using the classic Lee loader for 45acp to do rounds one at a time.
 
Have you checked Trail Boss? It would be even easier to clean. Frankly, I never saw much difference between cleaning Pyrodex and Black. Triple 7was quite a bit easier, though.
 
Trail Boss is a smokeless powder.

If using 777 be aware that they suggest a slightly smaller charge as it is a little stronger than black powder or Pyrodex.

Cleaning my guns that use either Pyrodex or proper black powder seem to be about the same effort wise. But the Pyrodex stains the brass HORRIBLY! I'm thinking that I'm going to switch to proper black powder for my cartridge loads as well for this reason.

And with black or pyrodex remember that you must not leave an air gap. You always want the charges with either powder to be slightly to moderately compressed.
 
Trail Boss is a smokeless powder.

If using 777 be aware that they suggest a slightly smaller charge as it is a little stronger than black powder or Pyrodex.

Cleaning my guns that use either Pyrodex or proper black powder seem to be about the same effort wise. But the Pyrodex stains the brass HORRIBLY! I'm thinking that I'm going to switch to proper black powder for my cartridge loads as well for this reason.

And with black or pyrodex remember that you must not leave an air gap. You always want the charges with either powder to be slightly to moderately compressed.

I too have experienced the distress of seeing my brass getting stained after shooting Pyrodex loads. I experimented a bit with cleaning methods. The one that I found best was NOT to soak the fired cases in water, but to keep them dry until I get home and then deprime them (no re-forming, just deprime). Then use really hot soapy water and a fine brush and clean them one at a time and rinse with hot water. Rubber gloves are helpful to avoid scalding.
After they're all cleaned I tumble dry in walnut media.
I've found this leaves them far less stained, but YMMV.
 
Back
Top Bottom