10 GA BP Reloading

Very expensively if you desire all brass 10 gauge hulls.
-$7.49 @ from Track of the Wolf, purchase their own reloading pamphlet too
-Export FFL USA, Canadian importer ($$$)
-non SAAMI spec' chamber?? Possibly you need resizing dies from Buffalo Arms $250 plus the shell holder, about the diameter of a poker chip
-now you need a large press that will accept these dies and enough clearance for the oversize shellholder
-$418 from a dealer, Redding Ultramag Press
-1 1/2 inch deep socket and a breaker bar to remove the press insert ($188)
-the cheapest bits are the wads and overshot cards available from Wil Bilizor ($33)
-Forgot to mention the shot dipper, price escapes me right now.......
-at some point I have to buy some glue
 
Last edited:
Very expensively if you desire all brass 10 gauge hulls.
-$7.49 @ from Track of the Wolf, purchase their own reloading pamphlet too
-Export FFL USA, Canadian importer ($$$)
-non SAAMI spec' chamber?? Possibly you need resizing dies from Buffalo Arms $250 plus the shell holder, about the diameter of a poker chip
-now you need a large press that will accept these dies and enough clearance for the oversize shellholder
-$418 from a dealer, Redding Ultramag Press
-1 1/2 inch deep socket and a breaker bar to remove the press insert ($188)
-the cheapest bits are the wads and overshot cards available from Wil Bilizor ($33)
-Forgot to mention the shot dipper, price escapes me right now.......
-at some point I have to buy some glue

Recently you posted that you are a newby to BP, so I am wondering where this dirth of information came from? Did you read the reloading steps for the Track of the Wolf full brass shells (no press used)? The real issue is if the brass is available in Canada as ToW list it as no go from US to Canada.
 
^All this information came from me and my own personal experience. Read up your your reg's. The real issue is using someone such as Prophet River that already has the Export USA FFL dealer set up already. Lots of USA dealers do not have the proper paperwork. This is mostly just some paperwork and $8,000 dollars a year to Uncle Sam. Then BINGO! You have the Magic Export FFL Licence.
I tell you what mister, many 10 gauges came from many different sources. Did they have world wide standardization back in the day all over the gunmaking world?
So it's a 50-50 gamble that those American modern hulls will work from the get-go IMHO.
My Prussian made BP drilling does not accept these hulls. Even when I had sspatch kindly cut them down to 2 5/8s. Hence they were too wide and I needed resizing dies.

You don't have to believe me. Find out for yourself friend.
 
Last edited:
You can get into 10 gauge black very economically, cutting down plastic 10 gauge hulls.
a small scale for your shot, an Uncle Mikes powder measure for your powder, and some Nitro card, fibre, and overshot wads from Ellwood Epps Ontsrio or Will Bilozir in Calgary
I'm going to put another post up on the sequences for loading black powder cases in a moment , I have them on photobucket.
Cat
 
I've been shooting black powder cartridge shotguns since 1980 and have helped many shooters get their old guns barking again!
First off you need to cut the hulls down to the proper size, depending on your chamber.

Then with a small punch knock out the spent primer

install the new primer using a drift punch, a block of wood, and a mallet


Then take the Uncle mike's measure and drop in the appropriate amount of powder.


You will want a small scale to measure your shot, and the proper wads, which are Nitro card, filler wad, Tin paper, shot, then another thin paper wad.

After the last wad goes in to cover the shot, you are ready to roll crimp.

This is done with a portable drill and a BPI roll crimp bit

FINISHED!

It's not difficult, and you can buy primed hulls with no problem.
You can cut them with a good set of shears, an OLFA knife, or a saw.
Cat
 
Last edited:
I bought a couple of bags of I think 50 empty 10 guage shells for something like $15 a bag at a gunshow and they work fine for me. As a matter of fact I have made 3 or 4 steel 8 guage bases and fit the 10 guage shells inside then expanded the plastic to 8 guage which gives a short 8 guage shells. The plastic industrial shells are not readily available to me. I would also suspect that Magtech might make brass 10 guage shells and I am guessing around $30 a box of 25 if they do. You might check with Mystic Precision, a gunnutz sponsor

cheers mooncoon
 
I bought a couple of bags of I think 50 empty 10 guage shells for something like $15 a bag at a gunshow and they work fine for me. As a matter of fact I have made 3 or 4 steel 8 guage bases and fit the 10 guage shells inside then expanded the plastic to 8 guage which gives a short 8 guage shells. The plastic industrial shells are not readily available to me. I would also suspect that Magtech might make brass 10 guage shells and I am guessing around $30 a box of 25 if they do. You might check with Mystic Precision, a gunnutz sponsor

cheers mooncoon
Info: I contacted Jerry about this a few months back. He said he does not bring in 10 gauge all brass hulls.
 
Recently you posted that you are a newby to BP, so I am wondering where this dirth of information came from? Did you read the reloading steps for the Track of the Wolf full brass shells (no press used)? The real issue is if the brass is available in Canada as ToW list it as no go from US to Canada.

Note the recent date.



I could have followed Cat's example here. But once committed to this avenue I tend to end it my way.

Besides, I like the end result.
 
You can get into 10 gauge black very economically, cutting down plastic 10 gauge hulls.
a small scale for your shot, an Uncle Mikes powder measure for your powder, and some Nitro card, fibre, and overshot wads from Ellwood Epps Ontsrio or Will Bilozir in Calgary
I'm going to put another post up on the sequences for loading black powder cases in a moment , I have them on photobucket.
Cat

Thank you Cat
 
I will never have to discard my shells for burn through.

You can add this to your dirth of information too.
One can also load low pressure smokeless loads and get may times the reloads out of the ten gauge ammo if that is a worry, but there are many shooters using 10's these days that do not hand load, and the cost of new hulls versus the brass, dies and press might be something to look at.
personally I would have gone with a press that was far less expensive, but my Rock Chucker has an insert as well.
Cat
 
when i got my old Wm Moore double barrel 10ga i got a few hundred Dominion and few other brands of old paper shotshells and i think there was about 8 brass shells, a vintage roll crimping device, a box full of cotton and fiber wads, and few other random things. all the paper shells have just had the shot removed, still powdered so i just pull out the wads and powder and reload them with 102-110gr of GOEX FFg with ~1.2oz of shot #4 lead. work good, blows a nice hole in 3/4" plywood. now im busy loading up some more for bird hunting next week.
 
One can also load low pressure smokeless loads and get may times the reloads out of the ten gauge ammo if that is a worry, but there are many shooters using 10's these days that do not hand load, and the cost of new hulls versus the brass, dies and press might be something to look at.
personally I would have gone with a press that was far less expensive, but my Rock Chucker has an insert as well.
Cat
Yeah, I tried out a friend's Rockchucker too. The shellholder would not clear the frame although it could seat the Buffalo die. I had two other presses at home. A smaller Harrell's that the tiny insert was way too small and the discontinued RCBS Big Max. The Big Max would clear the shellholder just fine, however the insert is threaded for 1 3/8s thread. The Buffalo dies are 1 1/2 inch.
Hence the purchase and I sold the Big Max to a good friend. And I'm going to miss it because the freaking ram size is unmatched, even compared to the Redding Ultramag press.
Others can say what they want but they don't know half the picture.

I appreciate your extensive shotgun knowledge and experience Cat. I'm just committed because I indulged in the all brass hull purchase. Belatedly I found this purchase of shotgun hulls would not fit into my BP shotgun and I had to do something to make them work.

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Please don 't get the wrong idea, I'm not suggesting my way was better or yours was worse, just different . :>)
I likely would give the 10 gauge brass a try if I had the chance as well, I do use them for all my other guns.
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom