IMA Fail

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
Apologies for rant in advance...

So I needed a replacement 1853 Enfield nipple and ordered one from IMA. I had ordered stuff from there before and had no problems.

This time around, they told me that a nipple ($10.95 USD) would cost the following to ship

Economy Small Package $28.00
Priority Mail International $31.25
UPS Worldwide Expedited $46.63
UPS Worldwide Express Saver $56.13

Holy crap says I! That's awful expensive to ship a thing the size of an eraser! Any cheaper options?

The lady told me that they would ship USPS First Class International but while there would be tracking there would be no insurance. I thought for the poastge I may as well get two nipples and postage for these 2 nipples dropped to approx 16.50 USD ($17.21 CAD)!!

I received an email on 8 September from IMA stating:

Here is shipment tracking information for order 232454:
Shipped on Sep 8, 2014 by USPS
Tracking number: LZ689353175US
Please verify the shipment by tracking it at this link: http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm
Thanks very much for your order!


After waiting a couple of weeks, I thought I would check to see where my package was. This is what I saw



Not only did my small package apparently go to Israel, it arrived there before it was even shipped!

I called IMA yesterday and, after laughing at the USPS tracking info, the lady said she would look into it and get back to me. Here is the response I received today:

When you placed this order, you requested the less expensive First Class International Mail. I took your order and told you we prefer to ship by Priority Mail which is insured and has tracking. However, if you want First Class International shipping, you would have to except all responsibility for lost mail. You did agree to those terms and placed the order.
Your order was shipped on September 8 and tracking indicates your package is in Israel, however, the tracking information is incorrect as the dates do not match up. At this point,
your package location is really unknown and may still arrive at the address listed on the package label. As it was shipped by First Class Mail, the postal system will not initiate a
search for the package. So you can give it more time and hopefully the package will be delivered to you or you can replace your order. Let me know what you decide.



Customer Service


In many many years with ebay and other US based vendors I have never had a package go missing. IMA charged $17.21 to ship two pencil eraser sized nipples which while I consider ludicrous, I was willing to accept.

In this case however, they gave me an apparently incorrect tracking number so I can't even tell if they actually shipped the nipples or, if they did, where they might be. There response was effectively to wait longer and see what turns up or re-order.

Wow...

Rant ends - caveat emptor with IMA.
 
Last edited:
I feel your pain. I have experieinced nearly the same thing with a different vendor. I usually get small parts shipped by USPS First Class Package, and there is not tracking info with that.

IMA told you there was no tracking with USPS First Class Parcel and I think that's correct. So how did you get tracking information on a package that shouldn't have tracking information?? Obviously somebody at IMA got things messed up - they are the people who tell USPS the shipping info, including email address, etc. Maybe it's just a clerical error and your package will still show up or maybe not. Either way I don't think I'd be dealing with IMA given the BS response to a problem that they obviously caused. Thanks for the warning.
 
Well that tracking number is a Priority mail Small Flat rate box tracking number not a First class one first class has no real tracking not like your scan anyway. your item will likely show up yet first class is slow.
My guess is that is not your item. not unless they sent it prority mail.
a SFRB costs $19.97 tho not $17
I recently lost a Webley Pryse that was worth 3K a whole bag of expressmail parcels (4 in the sealed bag) never got unloaded off the cathey pacfic airline in Vancouver B.C like it should have.
USPS says its Lost but the Canada post security thinks its in the far east and could still end up coming back. I doubt it.
Alot of weird stuff has been happening with mail shiped outa JFK in NY NY as of late.
Anyway i think your items may yet show first class can be very slow and mail if coming thru vancouver is very slow there so backed up right now there sending mail to ONT to be sorted which is makeing ONT backed up.
Vancouver changed there sorting system and its made everything way worse.
I wish they would have left it alone as it used to be fast.
even expressmail is takeing a week or more before they get to the bags in Vancouver so first class mail is way behind that.
 
I always ask any package to be shipped by, "United States International Postal Service, the most economical rate possible" and then prepare to wait awhile.

The longest was ordering 2 digital scales from DX.com in Singapore, with free shipping.

It only took 2 months for the scales to arrive but I did save on shipping.
 
IMA got back to me on another site re the mix up. Apparently USPS double-issued tracking numbers. IMA advised that the package cleared customs on 24 September. They said they will not offer USPS First Class shipping any linger for this reason.

In fairness to them, the number was not bogus or incorrect due to their error or omission.

As mentioned, I understand the risks and tribulations of waiting for snail mail and customs clearance.

I don't like venting in public forums but their customer service offered no real solution when I called them to resolve and their email essentially said your fault not our problem.

It apparently took a web posting to have their customer service actually contact USPS and confirm the situation.

I still don't understand how two nipples could cost $17 to ship but it seems postal rates have gone insane over the last year or so.
 
You were still hosed big time a first class rate flat packet is like $7 max less if it fits thru the slot for a small packet.
Im sure half of your charge was for handleing not all of oit was shipping.
Numirch charges like $35 for any parts shiped to Canada even a single screw.
First class works fine its slower and way cheeper and ive never lost anything shiped first class. yet shipping expressmail there most secure type of mail the posrtal chimps loose and entire mail bag full of parcels.
Canada post has been way better than USPS as far as im concerned.
 
Well I guess there is always Atlanta Cutlery for parts too. I have not tried them to see what handling they charge.

I won't be dealing with IMA again. The "VP" emailed and basically told me I should have called USPS myself and should apologize for the post re their customer service fail.
 
Well I guess there is always Atlanta Cutlery for parts too. I have not tried them to see what handling they charge.

I won't be dealing with IMA again. The "VP" emailed and basically told me I should have called USPS myself and should apologize for the post re their customer service fail.

As someone in marketing/PR - if their VP is asking for you to retract comments on an internet forum, that means it hit a nerve.... where to go from there I don't know without knowing the whole scenario, but... you hit a nerve. Usually a good thing on "your" side, bad thing on "theirs". Next steps depend on the facts. Won't always get you to "yes" but it could get you somewhere. On a small purchase like this though (looking at it from 30,000 feet) I'd "suggest" getting your money back (if they don't arrive) is not out of the question.

The internet never ceases to amaze me...I've never picked up a "facebook" account or anything like that, but I have fired people over "facebook" posts - the power of the internet is interesting to say the least! Good work...
 
Back
Top Bottom