Savage model 10ml smokeless muzzle loader

very dangerous guns and this should be in equipment exchange

Seriously?? You are absolutely wrong. The Savage ML-II is an unbelievably well built gun. Any negative reputation it has is directly related to Toby Bridges and his experimenting with different powders and duplex/triplex loads. He was warned several times by Savage to stop his testing as it was considered unsafe, yet he continued until he blew up a gun and hurt himself. He subsequently tried to bribe Savage into a payout which they refused and ever since has continued to bad-mouth an otherwise exceptional firearm. I own 2, my father has 1 and I have at least a half dozen friends who shoot them as well. Absolute tack drivers with 42gr of 4759 and a 250gr Hornady XTP in a black sabot.
 
This is the black powder forum, if you want to #### around with smokeless go a head just don't stand next to me at the range.
 
Seriously?? You are absolutely wrong. The Savage ML-II is an unbelievably well built gun. Any negative reputation it has is directly related to Toby Bridges and his experimenting with different powders and duplex/triplex loads. He was warned several times by Savage to stop his testing as it was considered unsafe, yet he continued until he blew up a gun and hurt himself. He subsequently tried to bribe Savage into a payout which they refused and ever since has continued to bad-mouth an otherwise exceptional firearm. I own 2, my father has 1 and I have at least a half dozen friends who shoot them as well. Absolute tack drivers with 42gr of 4759 and a 250gr Hornady XTP in a black sabot.

This

The only way these guns can be conceived of as "dangerous" is if they are misused.

Guys can finish a hunting season with their BP gun and forget to fire off the load. When they take the gun out many months later, they forget to check, and start a range session by loading - resulting in a double load.

With a decent BP gun, that might be painful or entertaining, but likely won't cause a KABOOM.

With smokeless powder, it would likely be catastrophic.

Otherwise, by all accounts, these are likely the safest and strongest front stuffers around, designed for smokeless loads, and extremely accurate.

Internet myths, once established, are immortal.
 
Yup,it's a great gun alright.
I had one and regret having sold it.
Tactical and Ol'Smokey are right on.
Savage are still making them but not Stainless (unfortunately ).
 
Wow lots of angry people here. I'm very fond of my ml10. 68gr h4198 gets me 2300fps with a 325gr hornady ftx. Unless you are negligent its not dangerous. Same thing applies to reloading of course and I don't hear people calling that very dangerous.
 
Last edited:
I had the Knight DISC and a Savage ML in my gun safe at one point. Aside from the ease of smokeless, the Knight was a more consistent shooter. Sold the Savage.
 
i love my savage. Dropped a muley buck at 275 M with a 300 grain hornady xtp sabot and hogdon 4227 (LOADED ACCORDING TO RIFLE MANUFACTURES LIMITS). I admit that it was a lucky shot but I have two witnesses. my savage muzzle loader is more accurate than some of my other rifles at 100 yards. They really should not be allowed for primitive weapons draws because they really are superior to any blackpowder rifles including the modern thompson centers. They are like using a pse mach 15 crossbow during archery season.
 
My savage has been a rock solid gun for me for many years.(pre accu trigger vintage) It has put more game on the ground than all of myl rifles combined ( due mainly to ML season before rifle season ). The only issue it ever had was a vent liner seized in the breech plug. I Just ordered a new breech plug and was back in business. Load within factory recommendations and it will never fail.

As for the unfair advantage arguement that is BS. You only have on shot and it does not have anywhere near the performance of a center fire. Think about archery. Would you not use the most consistently accurate bow.
 
My savage has been a rock solid gun for me for many years.(pre accu trigger vintage) It has put more game on the ground than all of myl rifles combined ( due mainly to ML season before rifle season ). The only issue it ever had was a vent liner seized in the breech plug. I Just ordered a new breech plug and was back in business. Load within factory recommendations and it will never fail.

As for the unfair advantage arguement that is BS. You only have on shot and it does not have anywhere near the performance of a center fire. Think about archery. Would you not use the most consistently accurate bow.


I agree. The knights are reputed to be accurate and the whites as well. Only difference is no cleaning and no cloud of smoke which may aid in game recovery. Other than the weight love mine.
 
The only real argument against the entire class of guns is that these seasons were conceived of at a time when such guns didn't exist, and in many cases were intended for "primitive" traditional muzzle loaders with iron sights.

I believe some jurisdictions have redefined their muzzleloader seasons to allow only traditional front stuffers, or established separate seasons for them.
 
I've got a couple, and unless the law changes I don't intend to hunt with any other muzzleloader. Unless something better or more effective comes along. It still is a Savage after all, and it does weigh a couple of pounds more than it needs to.
 
Back
Top Bottom