Help indentifying a .22

Papaclaude

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Location
Ottawa


First off, this is a .22 shotgun - smoothbore, bead sight. The action is marked Remington Targetmaster Mod. 510. When I Google the Mod. 510 Targetmaster, it says it's a bolt .22. Now unless past sins have really caught up with my, this does not fit my recollection of a bolt gun. Also, the buttplate is a Stevens Favorite buttplate. The gun is in pretty good shape, and has no sign of bluing at all.

Any help identifying and pinning a value on this would be greatly appreciated.
 
I'm going to guess that it's the barrel which is marked "Remington". The action looks more like a Stevens as suggested already and from the DeHaas book on single shot rifles there's nothing made by Remington that looks that similar to a Stevens. So I'm guessing that it's the barrel itself which is Remington.

Barrels on these guns were easy to take off thanks to the take down screw below the stub. And the early rimfire ammo was usually black powder up until well into the 19'teens. So barrels that were not faithfully cleaned after shooting rusted out pretty quickly. That meant that to keep them shooting new barrels were needed. And likely whatever was handy got pressed into service following a bit of lathe work on the mounting stub.
 
I'm going to guess that it's the barrel which is marked "Remington". The action looks more like a Stevens as suggested already and from the DeHaas book on single shot rifles there's nothing made by Remington that looks that similar to a Stevens. So I'm guessing that it's the barrel itself which is Remington.

Barrels on these guns were easy to take off thanks to the take down screw below the stub. And the early rimfire ammo was usually black powder up until well into the 19'teens. So barrels that were not faithfully cleaned after shooting rusted out pretty quickly. That meant that to keep them shooting new barrels were needed. And likely whatever was handy got pressed into service following a bit of lathe work on the mounting stub.

That's what I think happened, too. I had never realized that it was the barrel and not the receiver that was marked - well had never thought about it much.
 
That's astevens favorite with a replacement barrel from remington. It's $100-150 gun with good barrel. I know of an older man who replaces them like that. This Barrel obviously worn too. On this one. It should have rifling. Remmy 510 was a great accurate gun.
 
There's stories I've heard about some model of Remington rimfire with a smooth LOOKING barrel that actually shoots amazingly well. I'm thinking that it may have been a case of using some method of rifling that doesn't easily show up to the naked eye. So don't assume that it's a shotgun until you try it.
 
Back
Top Bottom