Need a little advice...

Rating - 100%
128   0   1
Ok so I think i know as much as I can about this ww greener double barrel shotgun, a friend of mine gave it to me as his license expired and he didn't want to renew it. It was originally passed down through his family before he gave it to me. It started production in march of 1893 and finished in April of 1895, I think it's in fair to good condition but have no idea as i collect modern firearms. That being said I have no idea what to do with it, I love the historic values of it but it's not my cup of tea so to speak. Don't know if I should restore it, mount it ect...


Any suggestions on where I should go from here?
 
I shoot mine and like it very much. There are a number of different models of Greeners with the lowest one being the Dominion. The cataloques of the day seemed to list most of them by price based on the amount of engraving. Also Greener seemed to use an apparent model name to describe the boring of the gun while at other times to describe the action. Names like Far Killer seemed to apply to a tightly choked bore and I am pretty sure that I have seen two different locking systems used and both called "the Trap Gun" I have also seen Dominion models with the name "the Forrester's Gun". Also have owned two guns virtually identical mechanically but the one with the London address was more highly engraved and with a noticeably finer stock that the one with the Birmingham address.

cheers mooncoon
 
If the bores are in good shape, and it locks up tight , shoot it and enjoy it. Remember though it won't take modern ammo.
I would could die to have an original Greener to shoot. restoring usualy decreases the value and the looks. Honest years of wear is a good thing.

Pete
 
Ok thanks for the info I think she locks up solid there is definitely no wiggle. The bores really surprised me... they are dusty that's it... The patina is beautiful and not a sign of rust anywhere, I was shocked when I found out she was 121 years old lol.
 
Last edited:
If it were me I'd keep it and shoot it. If you're not interested in fine old guns - advertise it for sale on the EE and let someone else enjoy it. I wouldn't do any major restoration.
 
If the bores are in good shape, and it locks up tight , shoot it and enjoy it. Remember though it won't take modern ammo.
I would could die to have an original Greener to shoot. restoring usualy decreases the value and the looks. Honest years of wear is a good thing.

Pete

In England ( so I've been told) it was perfectly acceptable to send in your fowling piece to be freshened up every so often. So do as you see fit IMO.
 
Here's where I differ. Being an English gun, if it shows a fair amount of wear, I would have it restored. As mentioned, the English had no issue with keeping their guns in "fine condition" if they could afford to.
 
There is a world of difference in keeping a gun in fine condition and trying to change a hundred years of wear to make it look new. Restoring devalues.
 
Back
Top Bottom