big bore ml what do you like

his is the only hunting pic I have of my Hawken that is on photobucket, I took a picture of the print!

I am in the process of getting the pics I took just now on the 'bucket and will post them as well as my son's .54.
Cat
 
warning - PIC HEAVY!!

Here are the two rifles.
Mine is a .58 cal Sharon barrelled rifle with a 32" barrel.
iron furnature , babbit nose cap and German silver escutcheons
I used to compete against the target slug guns in the offhand any sight matches with this rifle, so that is why there are two screws on the top of the barrel by the hammer- they held the Anschutz aperture sight, and I would drive the blade out of the front doevtail and install an Anschutz globe in there.
The serpentine heart I inlaid in deer antler, and the lock plate is circumvented with silver wire- also inlaid by myself.
I used this rifle on my trapline, and hunted with it exclusively for many years, it never let me down , and it saw service on dog teams, snowmobiles, in boats, and canoes as well as on foot.
I have lost count the number of bears this gun shot plus a moose, and a number of deer as well as beavers, rabbits, and partridge.
Then finish is still fantastic after all that weather and a few dunkings in water!!:rolleyes:





This one is owned by my son and was started by me but finished by Eric martins.
it has a 30" barrel and German Silver furniture, cast german silver nose cap , .54 cal Douglas barrel and L&R locks and triggers.
The lock was engraved by a fine lady i Saskatchewan for me and inlaid with a copper buffalo






Cat
 
Thanks for sharing the pictures, I will keep hunting and asking everyone in the BP world to see if i can find one.

Here are the two rifles.
Mine is a .58 cal Sharon barrelled rifle with a 32" barrel.
iron furnature , babbit nose cap and German silver escutcheons
I used to compete against the target slug guns in the offhand any sight matches with this rifle, so that is why there are two screws on the top of the barrel by the hammer- they held the Anschutz aperture sight, and I would drive the blade out of the front doevtail and install an Anschutz globe in there.
The serpentine heart I inlaid in deer antler, and the lock plate is circumvented with silver wire- also inlaid by myself.
I used this rifle on my trapline, and hunted with it exclusively for many years, it never let me down , and it saw service on dog teams, snowmobiles, in boats, and canoes as well as on foot.
I have lost count the number of bears this gun shot plus a moose, and a number of deer as well as beavers, rabbits, and partridge.
Then finish is still fantastic after all that weather and a few dunkings in water!!:rolleyes:





This one is owned by my son and was started by me but finished by Eric martins.
it has a 30" barrel and German Silver furniture, cast german silver nose cap , .54 cal Douglas barrel and L&R locks and triggers.
The lock was engraved by a fine lady i Saskatchewan for me and inlaid with a copper buffalo






Cat
 
The only issue I had with my Sharon barrel was when Taylor and I sighted it in the evening before the match at Tomahawk .
He had to file most of the front sight off to get it zeroed.
This was because the barrel was rifled and bored from octagon stock, so it ended up with a slight run out , which was marked when it was rifled.
That way, when the gun was built the barrel was installed with the run out down, so the POI would be low instead of to one side, or hitting high.
The Douglas barrels from what I have been told, were always bored and rifled first out of round stock, THEN the flats cut, that way the bore stayed concentric with the outside flats.
Not a big deal , but it bothered me a bit for a while, i had to shoot some critters and win a few matches before I came to really love and appreciate the gun as much as I do !
Cat
 
Those are some fine looking rifles, as in beautiful and I want one....
Congrats on keeping a fine tradition alive with some great looking hardware! I'm going to start a dumbazz newbie thread right now, I've stifled the thoughts of a BP rifle too long, this thread is the final straw. :p

Thanks,
D.K.
 
I am jealous :>) :>)

cheers mooncoon
I dunno why, Mooncoon, I've seen some of your work and I'm positive you can do as good a job, except for the fact that they are caplocks and IIRC you are more of a flinter type of guy!
You gonna make the tendezvous this summer?
if you do, I will show up with ol' Sadie Hawken!
Cat
 
catnthehatt

Mine is a .58 cal Sharon barrelled rifle with a 32" barrel.
iron furnature , babbit nose cap and German silver escutcheons

I have the little brother to that in .50 built by a gunsmith in Prince George if I recall.


Oh and WR1894, you Sir, have my full attention.

Beau Tee ful
 
Last edited:
catnthehatt



I have the little brother to that in .50 built by a gunsmith in Prince George if I recall.


Oh and WR1894, you Sir, have my full attention.

Beautiful
That would be one of the fellas working for Don Robinson, Dave "Black Dog" Cunningham, Colin Bright ( he built mine) or possibly stamped TS , Taylor himself?
Cat
 
You gonna make the tendezvous this summer?
if you do, I will show up with ol' Sadie Hawken!
Cat

Much as I would like to attend, partly distance (19 hours driving) and partly our own island rondy is roughly the same time. As a plug for the Fort Mac rendezvous, it is a thoroughly enjoyable rendezvous to attend, I have been there 3 or 4 times

cheers mooncoon
 
That would be one of the fellas working for Don Robinson, Dave "Black Dog" Cunningham, Colin Bright ( he built mine) or possibly stamped TS , Taylor himself?
Cat

Where would it be stamped TS

All it says is,

Robinson
Prince George
cal .50
91 which I assume is the serial #

Very interesting, I just pulled this off of American Long Rifles;

americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1965.0;wap2

D. Taylor Sapergia:
Between 1979 and 1982 inclusive, I was employed by Robinson Firearms Mfg. Ltd., here in Prince George BC. Don Robinson saw an opportunity to make some money with the recent love affair with Hawken rifles, so he asked me to come to work and design the rifle. I built a prototype rifle from the parts that he had accumulated, and to separate it from all the other "Hawken" rifles that were coming out, we called it the Fraser River Hawken. Using the prototype for a pattern, Don copied the stock on his Solstrome (sp?) twelve spindle carving machine. The first ten serial numbers were reserved for other prototype guns and some personal ones that employees made for themselves. Robinson # 5 was my personal rifle and it is now owned by the coach of the Finnish National Shooting Team. We made a total of 185 rifles if my memory serves me, and these included some scaled down Hawken styled rifled for women and a shorter barreled hunter with one key and a 15/16" bbl instead of the 1" on the big rifle. We made fullstocked rifles and pistols too. Over the three years of my time there, we used parts from a number of manufacturers. Barrels included Douglas, GRRW, Sharon, and GM. All the locks and triggers were L & R's and I think the hardware came from Pete Allen.
In the summer of '79 Dave "Black Dog" Cunningham, the other 'smith, and I went to the joint NAPR / NMLRA rendezvous in Montana, and took along tow of these rifles. We shot them well and won many prizes, but the most notable critique came from a guy who claimed to know everything. He said the rifle was "all wrong". I think it might have been Peter Alexander. He may be right.
These rifles have enjoyed a long and popular career, and they surface from time to time. I didn't make them all, though I had a hand in almost all of them. We had a number of other assemblers come and go. In the end, a recession killed the project. People's money dried up, and we closed the muzzle loading part of the business. I bought all of Don's inventory, and made a few more rifles over the years. Hatchet jack's flint Hawken is one of those.

Almost all the Hawkens had steel hardware - only a few have brass. Most of the stocks were Claro or Bastone walnut, and some had wonderful colour and figure.


I'm hoping I have #91 out of 185

FullSizeRender_zps588fd6df.jpg
 
Last edited:
Where would it be stamped TS

All it says is,

Robinson
Prince George
cal .50
91 which I assume is the serial #

Very interesting, I just pulled this off of American Long Rifles;

americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1965.0;wap2

D. Taylor Sapergia:
Between 1979 and 1982 inclusive, I was employed by Robinson Firearms Mfg. Ltd., here in Prince George BC. Don Robinson saw an opportunity to make some money with the recent love affair with Hawken rifles, so he asked me to come to work and design the rifle. I built a prototype rifle from the parts that he had accumulated, and to separate it from all the other "Hawken" rifles that were coming out, we called it the Fraser River Hawken. Using the prototype for a pattern, Don copied the stock on his Solstrome (sp?) twelve spindle carving machine. The first ten serial numbers were reserved for other prototype guns and some personal ones that employees made for themselves. Robinson # 5 was my personal rifle and it is now owned by the coach of the Finnish National Shooting Team. We made a total of 185 rifles if my memory serves me, and these included some scaled down Hawken styled rifled for women and a shorter barreled hunter with one key and a 15/16" bbl instead of the 1" on the big rifle. We made fullstocked rifles and pistols too. Over the three years of my time there, we used parts from a number of manufacturers. Barrels included Douglas, GRRW, Sharon, and GM. All the locks and triggers were L & R's and I think the hardware came from Pete Allen.
In the summer of '79 Dave "Black Dog" Cunningham, the other 'smith, and I went to the joint NAPR / NMLRA rendezvous in Montana, and took along tow of these rifles. We shot them well and won many prizes, but the most notable critique came from a guy who claimed to know everything. He said the rifle was "all wrong". I think it might have been Peter Alexander. He may be right.
These rifles have enjoyed a long and popular career, and they surface from time to time. I didn't make them all, though I had a hand in almost all of them. We had a number of other assemblers come and go. In the end, a recession killed the project. People's money dried up, and we closed the muzzle loading part of the business. I bought all of Don's inventory, and made a few more rifles over the years. Hatchet jack's flint Hawken is one of those.

Almost all the Hawkens had steel hardware - only a few have brass. Most of the stocks were Claro or Bastone walnut, and some had wonderful colour and figure.


I'm hoping I have #91 out of 185

FullSizeRender_zps588fd6df.jpg
Take the barrel off and look on the underside flat- the smiths never put their initialls on the upper flats, just on the bottom ones IIRC- at least every Robinson I ever saw had them on the bottom.
Cat
 
75 cal brown bess works for me. Just ordered one from Loyalest Arms, hope it is a good one. Have asked Taylor if he will install a White Lightning touch hole liner in it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom