BP shotshell... FF or FFF?

One last successful recipe:
3 dram 12 ga load is 85 grains of GOEX FFg in a Federal Gold Medal paper hull and any brand 209 primer with a .125 (1/8") card wad and 5/16" filler wad then 1 1/8 oz shot (equal in volume to the powder charge. Star crimp closure. In a brass or roll-crimped paper or plastic hull just adjust the thickness of the filler wad to afford the proper dimensions for a roll crimp or over-shot wad in a brass case. I have used FG as well but it seems to leave more fouling in the barrel and Fg seems harder to find among suppliers so I defaulted to FFG as I use it in other applications anyway.
 
And paper cases tend to burn through.
And brass ones need to be washed to prevent corrosion.

Best to just use a muzzleloader.... ;)
 
just going through my ammo today, found about 25rds of 410 and 12 rds of 12 guage shells loaded with b.p or pyrodex that I forgot about in the back of my cabinet, these were loaded about 18 months ago and probably a stupid question but would there be any reason for these to be unsafe at all, I just don't know shelf life on something like this, same as smokeless? or no?
 
just going through my ammo today, found about 25rds of 410 and 12 rds of 12 guage shells loaded with b.p or pyrodex that I forgot about in the back of my cabinet, these were loaded about 18 months ago and probably a stupid question but would there be any reason for these to be unsafe at all, I just don't know shelf life on something like this, same as smokeless? or no?

no problems just like smokeless
 
85 gr of FFg for a balanced 3 Dram, 1 1/8oz 12 ga load in Federal Gold Medal paper hulls. Use a .125 card wad and 5/16" filler wad with any 209 primer
 
Back
Top Bottom