Tac's Snider

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
Some of you may remember that Tac picked up a Snider a while back. Yesterday he sent me a couple of photos of his work on the stock of the gun. You will notice that he has removed an abundance of small dots of paint that someone had sprinkled on the gun in a past life as well as cleaning up the gun overall. I will leave it to him to give further details. A job well done in my opinion

cheers mooncoon



 
Thanks, Mooncoon and all - I've just finished a good cleanout. TBH, the bore was dusty from not have been shot much recently, and came out really well with about a hundred or so strokes of kitchen towel + gun oil wrapped around a .45cal brush. I've mentioned that it's a three groove three-band rifle, with a lock dated 1862, and made by Birmingham Small Arms, according to the Breech stamps. What I had forgotten about was the sheer beauty of the plum-brown barrel finish, glowing like a chestnut with hardly a blemish from one end to the other. I've sent Mooncoon some more pics including a 'down the barrel' view, the breech area and part of the barrel. Trust me, it ALL looks just like that. BTW, there is also a DC in diamond on the other side of the butt...

Sure, it's just another old Snider like so many other Canadian Sniders, but for the fact I'm here on the far eastern side of England holding something that was carried - maybe in defence of Canada - as part of Canadian history. You can call me an old softie, but holding this rifle and imagining what it could talk about really gets to me.

tac
 
When I used to have one, I used a 20ga. swab and bore brush to clean up the rifling and it came out beautifully. I had the 2 band Sergeant's model which to me is the most attractive of them all in terms of proportion. I wish I hadn't let 'er go, but if I had the fun money I used to, there are 2 really beautiful ones for sale out of an estate that I'd buy in a heartbeat.
 
Friend of mine here has a QGA two-bander that he recently paid a fortune for. I'm shooting it on Youtube tac's guns Snider. My envy is only excceded by my lack of the necessary $1750.00 + 20% taxes.

I've also lucked in to an unopened box of a hundred primed Fiocchi 24g brass cases for just over $80. Made up a cutting/trimmin jig, too, for when I get to put this new rifle on my firearms certificate as a shooter instead of a wall-hanger.

Best

tac
 
Tac

Why not buy a 2 bander and ship it over? They seem to run sub $1000CAD

Is it harder to get them into the UK?

Sniders in general are pretty common..

Canadian Sniders are not.

A tw-bander is next.

However, if you've been following my posts, you'll know that I live in a county where the chief of police set a limit on the number of firearms we can own without having dealer-level security installed in your home.
I already have to sell something to get this new rifle on my certificate....

If I lived in the next county, there is no practical limit to the number of fireable firearms you may have. Sucks, eh?

tac

PS - as ever, many thanks to Mooncoon for his help.
 
Last edited:
For what it may be worth (... if you don't already know ...) the "44" Battalion number on your rifle signifies the Welland Battalion of Infantry, formed in the Active Militia of Canada 16 November 1866, with HQ at Clifton, Canada West, by regimentation of several Independent Companies. It was re-designated as the Lincoln and Welland Battalion of Infantry in 1897.

It is an example of "non-regulation" unit markings .... which is fairly common, really, due to the rather poorly worded instructions issued by the Department of Militia .... under which the Battalion and stand-of-arms numbers were supposed to be stamped onto the tang of the buttplate, and the Dominion of Canada property mark (DC in diamond) was supposed to go on the other side of the butt ....

My 43rd-marked (Carleton Battalion of infantry) Long Rifle is "correctly" unit-marked on the tang, but also has the DC mark on the "wrong" side of the butt -

70bddecd-78c7-49e8-9211-c8d56d316264_zps1a65007e.jpg
blg8_4a_zps9dc130d6.jpg
 
Thanks for that, Grant, and yes, I've looked up the unit long ago, before it arrove here. Mine actually has the DC on BOTH sides of the stock, in case you miss it on one side. I'm looking forward to shooting it some day, but as I noted, I have to sell another one first - a real bummer. I don't buy guns so that I can sell them, I buy them to keep until my widder-woman sells 'em for me.

Looking at our two old rifles, it occurs to me that the fit of metal to wood is not just good, but exceptional, especially in mass-produced military arms. I've rarely seen fitting like these in ANY modern gun, shotgun or rifle. Didn't they do well back then?

tac
 
The neatness of the fit jumped out at my eye too. You either got a true cherry there or they did their work to a finer standard back then.
 
The wood-to-metal fit on all Enfield-produced rifles of that era (that I have seen, at any rate) is second to none. I have often thought this had a lot to do with the "Pax Britannica" which prevailed from the end of the Crimean War to the end of the 19th Century - i.e. a period in which the British Empire was involved in no major wars. Although there were lots of minor conflicts in the course of consolidating and policing the Empire, there was never really a time when the demand for rifles became so pressing that quality of workmanship had to be sacrificed for quantity of production.

Another factor is the fact that, back then, the walnut blanks for Enfield rifle stocks was seasoned for several years, if I recall correctly. (Little or no subsequent shrinkage ....)
 
Grant and all - back in the 90's, when I used to take my students to the MoD Pattern Room, first at Enfield, then at Nottingham, I was lucky enought to make a firm friend of the curator, the late and much-missed Herbie Woodend, so I was often able to make visits there without a tail of studes. It was on one of these occasions that Herbie invited me to help him to open a large box that had been sent from Parker-Hale, then in the process of winding up. To my astonishment, it was the original set of pattern gauges for the P53 rifled musket, used by P-H to replicate the entire series of rifles based on that basic action and stock dimensions. Parker-Hale had finally been pursuaded to return them to the Pattern Room. Needless to say, a lot of counting and checking went on that day - P-H had had them for well over 20 years - 'on temporary loan'. And of course we played with the priceless bits. Taking one of P-H fine replications out of the store, we set the lock in the original gauge, which had hardened steel pegs where all the various bolts fitted. It was a perfect fit - not a pretty good fit, but a perfect fit. As, in indeed, was every other piece of the P-H version. A few years later, we tried the same exercise with one or other of the Italian replicas, made after P-H had sold all the bits on to stave off bankrupcy.

Not one of the parts was anything more than a reasonably good fit, but the lockplate did not fit anywhere. Production creep is what it is called in industry.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom