All brass shotgun hulls

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I'm asking this here opposed to the reloading forum because often it's our old timey shotguns that get fed this particular kind of shot shell.

For your top over charge wad at the very top end of your brass hull, what type or brand of glue works best for you and provides sufficient strength to keep everything safe inside your hull while walking about the hunting fields and being subjected to the recoil forces of a SxS???

curious...
 
Just loaded up 50 yesterday. I have tried white glue, wax, sodium silicate, silicone and probably a few things I can't remember just now.

Silicone was pretty good but most other things dried out and cracked. Some have leaked around the wadbeen and glued the shot ito a blob. I also want to keep it small and light so the pattern isn't buggered too much.

For the last couple years I've been placing a piece of cleaning patch over the end of the case and pressing the wad in over it. This gives a good tight fit and after trimming a few drops of wax is soaked into the exposed patching. This has been working pretty well.

Look forward to hearing what others are having success with.
 
Been shooting brass cases for many years and used danged near everything out there and a few most wouldn't think of , like spray primer.
The very best I have ever seen and used is silicone sealant.
After i load all my cases I just put a small dollop on my finger and run a bead on the inside against the case and the overshot wad.
Let it sit overnight, and the next day you can toss them around like any modern folded crimp shotgun shell!
I carry them in a belt and have never had one come loose.
Cat

 
Thanks for contributing Cat! I've seen similar silicone sealant frequently used in various aviation maintenance tasks and I kind of expected a strong endorsement here.
But I wasn't 110% sure just in case something related to firearms, would put an unforeseen twist in it's application.

You've just confirmed it.

Cheers......
 
I have been experimenting with a light roll crimp and homemade over shot cards. These are 1/16" cork in 444 Marlin brass. The roll crimp seems to work well on plastic hulls as well.

 
^I really wish to avoid that Polar Hunter for this reasoning; 10 gauge all brass shotgun hulls are not cheaply available in this country.
They are imported from the USA at considerable cost. Crimping this way will be avoided by me, because they will tend to crack at the crimped area over time and repeated use.

Cheers!
 
My Dad has some for a single shot 10 gauge that was willed to him by a friend. They are siliconed and he's had them for close to 30 years, saw them at Christmas and no cracking in them. He has never shot them, too afraid, I think we are going to have to try them shells out now!
 
^I really wish to avoid that Polar Hunter for this reasoning; 10 gauge all brass shotgun hulls are not cheaply available in this country.
They are imported from the USA at considerable cost. Crimping this way will be avoided by me, because they will tend to crack at the crimped area over time and repeated use.

Cheers!
In my Bar in wood Westley Richards 10 I use plastic Federals and roll crimp them.
I don't get more than three loading s with black powder but I also have low pressure data for smokeless powder
i have never crimped a brass case and some of the Berdan cases have been loaded continually for 20 years or more and have killed lots of clay birds and pheasants as well as partridge.
Cat
 
Something a little less thick that still sticks like poop to a screen door is the cheap and common Alex latex with silicone caulking . I've only used it for my reno work so far but it's thinner and easier to work with than 100% RTV silicone. And best of all while still wet it cleans up easily with a damp rag.
 




The end looks a bit amateur, but this is my first batch. Should work just fine. Mostly everything I needed came right from Track of the Wolf.
That's three of 1 1/2 ounces of #4 shot (medium load) and the other three of 14 single 0 buckshot pellets. (heavy load)
Easiest hand loading I've ever done for sure!

Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom