new made martini's

If it's any help on the straight wall casing length I've got a Greener Martini 12Ga and it accepts 2 3/4 shells easily. And I'm pretty sure that it would easily swallow a 3 inch around the bend of the action's ski slope "bolt?".

Just what IS the right name for the hinged piece in a Martini? I've shot a dozen boxes out of this thing at trap birds and never gave it a thought ! ! !

Because it has the quick detached barrel I've also been considering making a rifle barrel for it. Or finding out if the late issue .303Brit Martini barrels would fit. That would give me a combo shotgun and rifle.
 
Maybe you wouldn't want a .577 B.P.E., but I sure as heck would. Ok, well maybe a .577 3" N.E. instead, (like Greener offered) oh what the heck, ok both, on a Martini action, engraved, with pistol grip, side safety, cased, with accessories. Oh, also forgot to add, with cape sights & folding night bead front sight. How about a file-cut rib. And a .577/450 (with a .450 bore), and a .43 Mauser & a .303 and a .256 Fraser! And maybe a .44/77 Sharps Straight, too.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if a G.P. receiver is the same as the normal M-H, but a regular old S.M.L.E. will fit & time correctly on a normal M-H receiver. All you have to do is cut the extractor slot.

The hinged thingy is a breechblock.

If it's any help on the straight wall casing length I've got a Greener Martini 12Ga and it accepts 2 3/4 shells easily. And I'm pretty sure that it would easily swallow a 3 inch around the bend of the action's ski slope "bolt?".

Just what IS the right name for the hinged piece in a Martini? I've shot a dozen boxes out of this thing at trap birds and never gave it a thought ! ! !

Because it has the quick detached barrel I've also been considering making a rifle barrel for it. Or finding out if the late issue .303Brit Martini barrels would fit. That would give me a combo shotgun and rifle.
 
If it's any help on the straight wall casing length I've got a Greener Martini 12Ga and it accepts 2 3/4 shells easily. And I'm pretty sure that it would easily swallow a 3 inch around the bend of the action's ski slope "bolt?".

Just what IS the right name for the hinged piece in a Martini? I've shot a dozen boxes out of this thing at trap birds and never gave it a thought ! ! !

Because it has the quick detached barrel I've also been considering making a rifle barrel for it. Or finding out if the late issue .303Brit Martini barrels would fit. That would give me a combo shotgun and rifle.

if I remember right the greener actions are longer and for a .303 conversion just about any Lee Enfield take off barrel could be used if the thread is the same on the greener as it is o the martini the British standardized that thread early on its the same from the snider rifle to the no4 mk1.
 
Maybe you wouldn't want a .577 B.P.E., but I sure as heck would. Ok, well maybe a .577 3" N.E. instead, (like Greener offered) oh what the heck, ok both, on a Martini action, engraved, with pistol grip, side safety, cased, with accessories. Oh, also forgot to add, with cape sights & folding night bead front sight. How about a file-cut rib. And a .577/450 (with a .450 bore), and a .43 Mauser & a .303 and a .256 Fraser! And maybe a .44/77 Sharps Straight, too.

why does that read as hyperactive lol idk about a safety though I could copy greener's safety but most likely not going to happen the safety is between the ears of the owner just like the military models
 
I'm off to the big Chilliwack gun swap show tomorrow. I've now got a mission to pull the barrel on my Greener and measure the threading and take along the calipers and thread gauge and shop for a suitable barrel.

More news when it happens right here.... :d

And thanks for the "breechblock" name. It even makes sense to call it that.

I feel a bit silly over that bit but I simply never even though about it. If I felt smart today I'd likely have looked it up on a parts diagram and list and avoided airing my ignorance on the interwebz..... Oh well, too late for that now, eh?

I'm posting this after having broken apart the takedown threading on my Greener. Sadly the threads of the 12Ga barrel are 1.076 measured at the crests by 14 tpi of a V form. So apparently a Lee Enfield barrel won't work....... At least not without making a sleeve adapter........ This project idea may not be as dead as it seems.

It won't be a straight out barrel swap though. I'd have to make a new extractor. Or perhaps thanks to the sleeve I could make a follower that fits between the barrel and the sleeve that is pushed by the existing 12Ga extractor? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If I find a barrel with a decent bore this may not be as far fetched as I first thought.
 
so I just got to find a building get the equipment and find someone who knows you to work CNC equipment/AutoCAD as its a bit much for this analog brain then get a firearms manufacturing license
 
If it's any help on the straight wall casing length I've got a Greener Martini 12Ga and it accepts 2 3/4 shells easily. And I'm pretty sure that it would easily swallow a 3 inch around the bend of the action's ski slope "bolt?".
.

I think they may fit because the 12 guage chamber is large enough to bring the shell closer to parallel to the bore as you load. A friend of mine made a 20 guage shotgun on a martini action and had to hollow out the back of the breach block in order to chamber the shell. If a rifle shell case is long enough and more or less straight sided, the shell is still on a steep angle as it enters the chamber and will jam. With something like a 450 = 577 the large diameter of the base of the chamber allows the neck to slide a fair ways forward and the angle flattens out as the shell moves down the incline of the breach block Something like a 45-70 is short enough that it will chamber but a 45-120 I suspect would not.

cheers mooncoon
 
That's good to know. In any case, no matter what YOU did, every gun would need to be proofed before it could be sold in the country in which it arrives, unless, of course, they all came to UK and got proofed here.

Lots of luck!

tac
 
That's good to know. In any case, no matter what YOU did, every gun would need to be proofed before it could be sold in the country in which it arrives, unless, of course, they all came to UK and got proofed here.

Lots of luck!

tac

no need for proofing here in Canada only guns that would have to be done are the ones sold to the UK and Europe
 
Going to have to be a few really valuable things, to set up a CNC manufacturing facility capable of producing rifles, or even actions, from scratch.
 
Got the capital?

I got a twenty here on the table that says it goes the way of custom made flintlocks and custom motorcycles.

He does not actually have a clue which machines or which software he needs, in order to efficiently make these, nor does he have any of the skills that would allow him to understand what those are.

What he hopes to make, is a product that would saturate the market, IMO, on the production that was able to be met by working a couple evenings and weekends, in a normally equipped manual hobby machine shop. If, and that is a BIG "IF" the person running the machinery had a reasonable set of skills to fall back on, and a good understanding of which ops to farm out and which ones were better done in house.

Unless he has two or three pretty nice houses already paid for, the banks won't touch this as a business plan, and even the mob lenders want some reasonable expectation of getting something of value out of the borrower, even if it is a working kidney or two.

Remember the initials DTF? Without cash in hand, and skills that are applicable to the production, that is where this is going.

Should have stayed in school.

Here's the best free advice you will ever get. Hit the phone book or online, and start digging through the small business development, economic development Government branches until someone puts you on to the folks that will sit down and work with you on a business plan, so you will have some clues as to what kind of money you will need, and how much cash flow will be required to keep the lights on. It'll be educational!

Cheers
Trev
 
Here's the best free advice you will ever get. Hit the phone book or online, and start digging through the small business development, economic development Government branches until someone puts you on to the folks that will sit down and work with you on a business plan, so you will have some clues as to what kind of money you will need, and how much cash flow will be required to keep the lights on. It'll be educational!

Cheers
Trev

already did this I understand how business works I also understand that I might not be making a profit for a year or 2 after the initial investment.
 
Back
Top Bottom