Winchester 1894

D.Sheridan

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Northern B.C.
I have had this gun in my safe for years and my Father before me. It is a Winchester 1894 in 38 55 calibre, round barrel it seems about 25 1/2 inches, blueing is not good. I did start looking on the web and with Cody Museum but the fact is the tang is broken. The butt stock has some serious chunks missing. To me it looks like whoever was hunting buffalo ran out of ammo and tried to beat it to death. LOL Does this have any value? I am starting to dispose of all my guns for personal reasons and this one is defiantly collecting dust. Any advice would help! Thanks!
 
1894 rifle , no finish with broken tang and damaged wood, value is not high. Personally I would strip it and sell the parts if you want to get rid of it.
 
The major parts value might be the barrel. How is the condition of the bore?

In any event given the condition I'm also thinking that the best role for this old fella is as a donor to keep other similar vintage 94's alive and kicking.

A restoration is certainly possible but it won't be the same rifle when it's done. Welded tang, new stock, and probably stockS since I don't imagine that the fore stock is much better. And if the finish is bad enough as you're saying it likely warrants a re-blue. It would need it anyway to cover up the weld repair and reshaping around the weld. By the time you do all that the cost will be up there. And due to the reblue and replacement stock(s) the value won't be there in the collector's mind.

So it sounds like parts to me or perhaps a project to someone with the time, tools and talent.
 
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but while we are discussing values, what is a real nice Model 94 worth in 38/55? I am thinking of thinning the herd a bit....

Hello,

There is much more that goes into estimating the potential value of a Winchester than just the caliber designation.
I would be glad to try to answer your question but more information/photos will be necessary. Please read the
following from another site where I am a moderator:
What I Need
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/give-me-what-i-need-294224.html
This will help with the photos:
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/we-really-need-some-photos-to-help-you-better-1420.html

I will be happy to help you out.
Thanks,
Michael
 
Hello,

There is much more that goes into estimating the potential value of a Winchester than just the caliber designation.
I would be glad to try to answer your question but more information/photos will be necessary. Please read the
following from another site where I am a moderator:
What I Need
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/give-me-what-i-need-294224.html
This will help with the photos:
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/we-really-need-some-photos-to-help-you-better-1420.html

I will be happy to help you out.
Thanks,
Michael

Thanks, Michael, I realised after I posted that it was a foolish question. I was thinking out loud, I guess. I'm away from home at the moment, but will consider your offer when I get home. I will try to refrain from having that sort of brain fart in the future...
Glen
 
Back
Top Bottom