Snider bullets?

petew

Regular
Rating - 97.4%
38   1   0
Location
Alberta
After a long search I have a snider, and now it is time to make ammo for it.
I found sources for cases, but what bullet molds work? I have Lee REAL molds in 58 cal . These will start to fit in the barrel about half way before the rifling engages the bands on them which seems encouraging. Has anyone used the Lee REAL 58 in their snider with good results , or do I need another mold?

Pete
 
I think I have a Lee 58 in the smelting area, but I use a Lyman 577611 HB mold for Snider fodder. I fill the HB with Beeswax to avoid the dreaded 'Air gap'
 
the REAL bullet has 3 different size bands its made to be loaded from the muzzle other then that it would be a perfect bullet. sniders though are over bore from what most think .577 is just nominal at this point they tent to like .585" to .590" conical projectiles and round balls anywhere from .585" to .600" 3 groove bores will be 1 in 78" twist and 5 groove with be 1 in 48" twist.

the mk1 and mk2 sniders were converted from p1953 enfield rifled muskets the minie ball they were supposed to shoot was .577" and it expanded into the grooves this works in a muzzleloader but generally for a breech loader we want a bullet that is slightly bigger then groove diameter.
 
I think I have a Lee 58 in the smelting area, but I use a Lyman 577611 HB mold for Snider fodder. I fill the HB with Beeswax to avoid the dreaded 'Air gap'

OK, I fill the hollow base with vehicle repair bondo. This seems to work well as a replacement for the wooden plug used by the Brits. I am under the impression that the plug eliminates two problems. One it gets rid of the dreaded air gap and two, it helps the skirt of the bullet expand into the rifling.
 
After a long search I have a snider, and now it is time to make ammo for it.
I found sources for cases, but what bullet molds work? I have Lee REAL molds in 58 cal . These will start to fit in the barrel about half way before the rifling engages the bands on them which seems encouraging. Has anyone used the Lee REAL 58 in their snider with good results , or do I need another mold?

Pete

where did you get your brass?
 
Snider molds, you name it, I have tried it.

I am now having amazing results with a .58 Cal Wilkinson

moosemoulds.wix.com/mm2013#!wilkinson/c1msz

58WImpCAT_zps7dd7e47e.jpg
 
Last edited:
After a long search I have a snider, and now it is time to make ammo for it.
I found sources for cases, but what bullet molds work? I have Lee REAL molds in 58 cal . These will start to fit in the barrel about half way before the rifling engages the bands on them which seems encouraging. Has anyone used the Lee REAL 58 in their snider with good results , or do I need another mold?

Pete

My old three-bander was .585 and the two-band was .590. Both shot REAL bullets like throwing them underarm from a moving vehicle. I got tired in the end and moved them on to a wall-hanger Snider fan. The one I've just obtained from Canada is spot on .578", prolly because it's an early conversion from a P53. I'll likely try my .58cal Lyman mould with the small hollow base filled in.

tac
 
Another question for the knowing. Should I use pure lead, like I do with muzzle loaders, or an alloy like wheel weights? All I have is pure lead now, so it will be fine that's good.
 
Another question for the knowing. Should I use pure lead, like I do with muzzle loaders, or an alloy like wheel weights? All I have is pure lead now, so it will be fine that's good.

20 to 1 lead/tin works well pure is a bit soft you want something right around 12bhn air cooled wheel weights would do the trick in a pinch
 
All the pieces are in place, got brass 24ga , cut them back, got dies from Lee, and found a press that accepts the huge 1 1/4" dies.A friend gave me his old rock crusher.I'm oing to try some lee real's, and some 58 cal Mini's. to see what works before I start shopping for more moulds.
 
I wonder about the gap too. Almost all of my rifle shells have it. You can shake them and hear the powder moving.?? and the same mini in my muzzle loaders doesn't have anything filling the cavity.
 
The base of the Snider bullet, when using a Minié style, was originally filled with a clay plug, and then a wooden plug, and then discarded totally very early on in Snider history.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom