Am I allowed to post a replica being shot?

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
'snot real, just my new Uberti High Wall in .45-70Govt, even using a plinking nitro load, too.

I figure that it's better to post and apologise rather than post nothing and be thought a wet blanket. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AonrXORXKJI&feature=youtu.be

Flame away!

tac
 
Hey, that's me!! Howja do that?

The first owner last year bought it, along with the spiffy mid-range tang site, for a small fortune. After firing just fifteen shots he decided that it was not for him, and put it into a local gun-store at a price that was, frankly, ludicrous. I put the paperwork in and got it back in just ten days - that's a mercle around here, BTW - and took it home for 50% of what he paid, plus five live rounds and fifteen once-fired cases....

I'm still working on the longer-range load - out to ca. 600 yds, which is as far as these sights will reliably go.

And thanks for posting that for me - much appreciated.

tac in yUK
 
I got the same Uberti but in .38-55 back around Christmas. The Pedersoli sights came along a little after that and I've finally gotten time to put the stuff together. The front Lyman globe sight doesn't fit the dovetail and I want it raised a little anyway. So I'm just about to make a riser block which will also hold a salvaged small bubble level vial.

I guess it's each to their own. But I'd rather shoot stuff like these 1885's far more than I'd want to shoot an AR style semi auto. For me, and you I suspect, the desirability hierarchy is single shots at the top of the heap, lever rifles close below, bolt actions a few steps lower on the hill and semi autos mixed in with the loose shale piles at the base of the hill.... :D
 
Nice gun Tac. You must get comments wearing the Maple Leaf at an English range...thank you!

Dunno why, they've had many years to get used to me and my 'funny' accent. Sometimes, depending on the level of frustration at a poor shot I can make Red Green sound like a BBC newsreader. A few of my my more modern rifles also have maple leaf stickers on the stocks, AND we 'fly the flag' on July 1st, instead of the usual range safety flag in the car park. It seems to -

a. Make the natives smile.

b. Mildly pi$$ off the couple of 'mercans in the club, never a bad thing, in my book.

c. It has enough red in it to 'act' as a safety flag, and lastly,

d. It cheers me up, remembering past days with friends and family in Canada.

The club, BTW - look up Oundle Rifle and Pistol Club on their new website - has a few other furriners in it apart from me. We have a Finn in the British Army and a guy from Antigua in the RAF, a couple from the Republic of Ireland and another from the north, an Italian, a South African, a Tanzanian and two Australians. Three Indians of the Asian persuasion joined us last month, too. With over three hundred members it's just going to happen that way these days, with a club like ours that has an ever-increasing level of popularity in the English Midlands. We are almost at saturation point right now, and STILL they come.................

tac
 
I got the same Uberti but in .38-55 back around Christmas. The Pedersoli sights came along a little after that and I've finally gotten time to put the stuff together. The front Lyman globe sight doesn't fit the dovetail and I want it raised a little anyway. So I'm just about to make a riser block which will also hold a salvaged small bubble level vial.

I guess it's each to their own. But I'd rather shoot stuff like these 1885's far more than I'd want to shoot an AR style semi auto. For me, and you I suspect, the desirability hierarchy is single shots at the top of the heap, lever rifles close below, bolt actions a few steps lower on the hill and semi autos mixed in with the loose shale piles at the base of the hill.... :D

I love loading these big old cartridges, too, especially as you can actually make the things right there on the range without a press. All you need is a set of scales, some filler of some kind and a strong hand. I find that I can easily push the prepared bullet into the case up to the front driving band using just hand pressure, but then, I can crack walnuts too.

As for the semi-autos, having an AR that really IS an AR is not an option here in yUK - all semi-auto centre-fire firearms have been banned since 1988. I had seven.

And as for sights, I've ordered a traditional Winchester-style scope and mounts from Montana Vintage Arms. A local custom gun-builder - Dolphin Arms, will do the fitting.

tac
 
Dunno why, they've had many years to get used to me and my 'funny' accent. Sometimes, depending on the level of frustration at a poor shot I can make Red Green sound like a BBC newsreader. A few of my my more modern rifles also have maple leaf stickers on the stocks, AND we 'fly the flag' on July 1st, instead of the usual range safety flag in the car park. It seems to -

a. Make the natives smile.

b. Mildly pi$$ off the couple of 'mercans in the club, never a bad thing, in my book.

c. It has enough red in it to 'act' as a safety flag, and lastly,

d. It cheers me up, remembering past days with friends and family in Canada.

The club, BTW - look up Oundle Rifle and Pistol Club on their new website - has a few other furriners in it apart from me. We have a Finn in the British Army and a guy from Antigua in the RAF, a couple from the Republic of Ireland and another from the north, an Italian, a South African, a Tanzanian and two Australians. Three Indians of the Asian persuasion joined us last month, too. With over three hundred members it's just going to happen that way these days, with a club like ours that has an ever-increasing level of popularity in the English Midlands. We are almost at saturation point right now, and STILL they come.................

tac

You had me at "mildly pissing off 'Merican's"...that's reason enough ;)
 
OT, but the village in which we live has a liberal sprinkling of those folks from below the 48th - this part of UK is very heavily populated due to the numerous huge air bases and the local-to-us JAC - total around 35,000. At least forty US service personnel live within five minutes walk of us, including the four who live opposite, and another 3000 or so just up the road on-base. We have a maple leaf sticker on each car, another on the kitchen window in the front of the house and a large desk-top flag in my study window. Add to that the 14x10 foot flag we hang on the front of the house on July 1st and you can see that nobody could ever mistake us for 'them'. ;)

tac
 
Just livin' the dream, eh?

All you need to top it off is a Canucks or Maple Leafs hockey jersey to wear on the more mild days.... :D

Back to shooting for a moment.... :D

There was a guy I set up next to that was loading his own paper patched black powder loads for a rolling block. The bullets were pre-wrapped and he was loading the powder from scales at the bench and just inserting the bullets. No sizing at all. He'd just wrapped the bullets to allow a good firm neck tension to the fire formed brass. The final seating being done when it was forced home the last little bit in the chamber. So obviously the bullet is right on the leade of the rifling.

His results also got me to thinking that black powder would not be a bad option for long range target shooting. And oddly enough looking into it more supports the idea that it's perhaps a little easier to get really good consistent results from black powder than from smokeless. Go figure..... So one of these days I'm going to have a go at using my rolling block and the new 1885 with actual black powder loads.

The trick for me is to use a bullet lube that allows for a string of roughly 20 shots without any requirement to clean the bore. I'd be using it for the long range cowboy action side matches as well as general target fun. And there's no time to swab the bore during a string of the Buffalo Shoot side match shooting.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom