Antique Ammo problems (reload your own) See PIC

Two things about this thread bother me, the first is that the OP gives a first impression that the 700 fps speed is the problem... not so... the fact that it was severely under loaded and couldn't reach that speed (primer only I'm guessing) is the problem. The # of 6-700 fps rounds I've loaded is up past 45,000 now, not one of them stayed in the barrel.

The second is the inference that it was "operator error" that caused the damage. I've shot with a number of guys that can run a 5 shot string from a single action army in 2.5 seconds (or less on a one target dump)...just try and stop that kind of speed demon before the next one goes down the pipe, impossible.
 
Two things about this thread bother me, the first is that the OP gives a first impression that the 700 fps speed is the problem... not so... the fact that it was severely under loaded and couldn't reach that speed (primer only I'm guessing) is the problem. The # of 6-700 fps rounds I've loaded is up past 45,000 now, not one of them stayed in the barrel.

The second is the inference that it was "operator error" that caused the damage. I've shot with a number of guys that can run a 5 shot string from a single action army in 2.5 seconds (or less on a one target dump)...just try and stop that kind of speed demon before the next one goes down the pipe, impossible.

No go read my first post again i said this 45 acp ammo doing 700 Fps should never get stuck in the barrel. the problem is a under loaded round.
There was two Squib rounds in the 12 rounds he used outa the box.
The rest are being tested.
You could be right about there just being a primer and no powder but i did say on more than once in my replys it was a under loaded round that cause the bullet to go 4 inchs down the barrel and stop.

I shoot 45 caliber ammos from as low as 650 FPS with never a round stuck in the barrel so 700 FPS is fine that never was the problem i never said it was.
 
Last edited:
+1 on never shooting someone else's handloads. Was given some 45acp years ago (not related to OP's post)... tried 6 of them... last 2 were squibs and got stuck in the barrel and needed removal before firing. Pulled the rest and found a good portion of them had no powder at all in them, and one was clearly a compressed load b: After receiving unknown ammo more recently I've pulled all of it... more often than not I'll find one or two that're wayyyyyyyyy off in powder volume or be a completely different powder.
 
Last edited:
That is a shame about the Colt. Reload your own. That said I have shot a couple of my own squibs when I was a new reloader and was not paying sufficient attention to a progressive press that was inadvertently short charging. Fortunately I recognized the squibs before sending a follow up round. Sucks the vendor has some obvious quality control issues with his ammo and sucks that the shooter had to learn a hard lesson.
 
Thanks for the warning Dingus, I imagine that if a revolver has an excessive gap between the chamber and the barrel the pressure could be lost before the bullet clears the barrel even with a reduced load of powder. So even if you don't forget to charge the case before seating the bullet the gun will go bang like a normal load but the bullet won't clear the barrel. The bang should be accompanied with some recoil, squibs that just go "pop" are easy to detect.
 
Two things about this thread bother me, the first is that the OP gives a first impression that the 700 fps speed is the problem... not so... the fact that it was severely under loaded and couldn't reach that speed (primer only I'm guessing) is the problem. The # of 6-700 fps rounds I've loaded is up past 45,000 now, not one of them stayed in the barrel.

The second is the inference that it was "operator error" that caused the damage. I've shot with a number of guys that can run a 5 shot string from a single action army in 2.5 seconds (or less on a one target dump)...just try and stop that kind of speed demon before the next one goes down the pipe, impossible.

I run faster then that shooting DA revolver, and i manage to stop for squibs. And that was shooting light loads...it's pretty noticeable from both feel and sound. That said, a manufacturer should stand behind their product...and if they're selling without a licence, they better doubly do so or someone could make a phone call that would cost them more then a barrel swap.
 
No go read my first post again i said this 45 acp ammo doing 700 Fps should never get stuck in the barrel. the problem is a under loaded round.
There was two Squib rounds in the 12 rounds he used outa the box.
The rest are being tested.
You could be right about there just being a primer and no powder but i did say on more than once in my replys it was a under loaded round that cause the bullet to go 4 inchs down the barrel and stop.

I shoot 45 caliber ammos from as low as 650 FPS with never a round stuck in the barrel so 700 FPS is fine that never was the problem i never said it was.


You are right of course and I apologize very much so. Soon after I wrote that I was away from the computer and going over it in my mind again and knew I'd spoke out of turn... but unfortunately this is the first access i had to a computer since then.
 
Fingers wrote :::: You are right of course and I apologize very much so. Soon after I wrote that I was away from the computer and going over it in my mind again and knew I'd spoke out of turn... but unfortunately this is the first access i had to a computer since then.



No worries i just wanted to clarify it is all. I can see if you read that part about the 700 FPS bullet hiting the other bullet that was stuck it was like i was blameing the 700 Fps bullet. It did the damage but was not the problem.
The Guy with the gun takes some responsibilty as he is a new shooter and should have noticed the Squib but in fairness everyones a new shooter at some point.
Anyway im just trying to get the word out since i posted this others have PMed me with simlar problems.
So this post is really just a warning.
Hell i sell more guns when business are selling antique reloaded cartridges for sale for non reloaders so this is not helping me in any way posting this info.
Id rather not sell a gun than have someone wreck a $5000 gun or even a $1200 gun.
Just everyone be extra carefull and hopefully the ammo quality goes up.
At least were not talking about a double charge that blows up the entire gun.
Underloaded is not the end of the world it happens with older yellow boxed 455 Domion ammo you buy at gun shows to.
so just everyone be carefull .
 
Wtf does the fact someone else had done it have to do with it?

I agree with it being operator error.

If it was his reload and he didn't notice it squibbed, then he shot another, would it THEN be operator error? Exact same scenario in place - shooter pulled trigger. Round didn't leave the barrel. Shooter shot another round. Only difference would be who loaded it.

At the end of the day it's not the reloader who didn't clear the squib...

Sure enough it was shooter error, but given that cowboy action loads are frequently rapid-fired in competition it might happen to even an experienced shooter. Perhaps you're clever enough that you don't need a heads up, but Dingus warning might be useful for some of the other shooters.

If a commercial reloader sold ammo for cowboy action shooting, it shouldn't stick in the dam barrel and it's a very valid warning. Thank you for the heads up, Dingus. Making your own is the best way.
 
Last edited:
Moral of the story: always use ammunition from a reputable manufacturer so you have someone to blame when you screw up.
 
Appreciate this post, Dingus. I remember taking a course at a shooting range in Winnipeg years ago. They stressed the importance of paying attention to squib loads in revolvers. A post like this is a very good reminder.
 
Moral of the story: always use ammunition from a reputable manufacturer so you have someone to blame when you screw up.

Blaming the ammo or the shooter isn't what Dingus was doing - he simply made us aware of some poor quality ammo that is commercially available on our market. I don't understand why you feel the need to defend the commercial reloader. Let him address it himself, if he chooses to.
 
Back
Top Bottom