#### and Frizzen alignment

maliboy67

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I recently purchased a Pedersoli frontier flintlock, today I was putting in the flint and noticed if I have the flint centered in the vice jaws it only strikes about 2/3 of the frizzen face. If I line up the flint so it strikes across the whole frizzen face then only about half of the vice is contacting the flint. Is this typical with this rifle and should I center the flint with the frizzen or vice? I would like to wear the frizzen face evenly but don't want to be breaking flints because they aren't held properly.

16973219557_e462d032f7_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_20150417_154545 https://www.flickr.com/people/91625905@N00/[/IMG]

Here is a picture to help explain
 
Last edited:
That doesn't sound right. Does the center of the hammer line up with the center of the frizzen?

My first thoughts are that you might have the wrong size flint or being a new gun maybe the hammer isn't fully seated.
If you can get a picture or two it might make it easier to picture.
 
Put the flint in bevel up or down according to its length; bevel down will strike higher on the frizzen and as the flint is knapped shorter you may want or have to change it to bevel up. In terms of being parallel to the frizzen face, put the flint in the jaws securely and if you are concerned, knap the front edge to parallel .

cheers mooncoon
 
Getting the best flash is important. Experiment for best results. There is considerable variation in flints.
 
It looks like its mounted at an angle to get the edge parallel to the frizzen?
You want it clamped more or less centered in the hammer but so the corner doesn't hit the barrel. Then do as mooncoon said and knap the leading edge so it's square with the frizzen surface. A bit of a sawtooth edgeis a good thing. Then test for sparks and flip if that seems better.

Like many things, its fairly simple but much easier to understand if you can meet up with someone in person who has a little experience. Knapping takes a minimum of practice.
By the time you've gone through 2 or 3 flints its a 2 minute job to change and set up a new flint.
 
I understand and have taken your advice. I adjusted the flint in the vice then knapped the edge so it was square with the frizzen face. Just a beginner being silly, I feel a little dumb for not figuring this out. Thanks for the advice to help active my apparently tired brain. It took all of 2 min to fix.
 
I knap a bit differently from most people. I have short starter with a mallet shaped head and use a piece of 3/16" brass rod about 3 " long . That allows me to put the rod on the very edge of the flint at about a 45 degree angle and strike a blow with the short starter. It gives me a lot more control of what I am doing and with any luck can drive off a series of flakes that are up to 1/4" long or more

cheers mooncoon
 
Looking at the photo, the #### seems to be badly out of line with the frizzen.
Centerline of the #### looks to be way off the centerline of the frizzen.
I would be inclined to get the flint more centered in the jaws, perhaps angled as necessary so that the frizzen face is well contacted.
 
Front edge of the flint must be parallel to the face of the frizzen but the back of the flint should be tight against the #### screw for best sparking - the angle at the back of the flint is less important. It looks like there is a hole in your leather to allow this. Also, don't position the flint so far towards the barrel that it hits the side of the barrel. When the proper size flint is used, the front edge should be not much more than 1/8" from the face of the frizzen when the lock is at half-####. Overall, the setup in your photo does not look out of proportion - just out of alignment. In your photo it almost looks like the face of the frizzen, when closed, is not perpendicular to the side of the barrel - it should be.
 
I knap a bit differently from most people. I have short starter with a mallet shaped head and use a piece of 3/16" brass rod about 3 " long . That allows me to put the rod on the very edge of the flint at about a 45 degree angle and strike a blow with the short starter. It gives me a lot more control of what I am doing and with any luck can drive off a series of flakes that are up to 1/4" long or more

cheers mooncoon

This is exactly how I do mine.
 
Here's a quick way to get your flint to line up parallel to the frizzen. Easiest way I've found to do this is to simply hold the firearm in your lap, right side up.
Mount the flint in the jaws using just enough tension to hold it in place, but will still move fairly easily. Ensure that the back of the flint is seated in the leather and against the back of the ####.
Bevel up or down...makes no difference. Bring the firearm to full ####. Drop the frizzen down as it would be in firing position. Now....this is the tricky part, as it seems like you might need an extra hand...holding the #### firmly in one hand, while holding the frizzen in place with the other...pull the trigger and slowly lower the #### until the flint rests lightly, but firmly on the face of the frizzen. Checking of course, that the inside edge of the flint is not contacting the barrel. At that point, its edge should be perfectly parallel to the frizzen's face. Ease the #### back enough so it clears the frizzen, then snug the screw holding the flint down so that the flint is held securely. But not fully tightened down. Check the alignment again, by repeating step one. If the flint is still parallel, tighten up the screw fully. Recheck. If still good, you are done. That should give you a perfectly square flint, every time. Takes a bit of practise, but once mastered is quick and easy. In the photo, your #### and frizzen do appear to be out of line. It is also possible that the flint is too large. Do you have an instruction manual for the rifle? If so, it should give the right sized flint. Otherwise, the Pedersoli site should have the information you need. Hope this helps.
 
Here's a quick way to get your flint to line up parallel to the frizzen. Easiest way I've found to do this is to simply hold the firearm in your lap, right side up.
Mount the flint in the jaws using just enough tension to hold it in place, but will still move fairly easily. Ensure that the back of the flint is seated in the leather and against the back of the ####.
Bevel up or down...makes no difference. Bring the firearm to full ####. Drop the frizzen down as it would be in firing position. Now....this is the tricky part, as it seems like you might need an extra hand...holding the #### firmly in one hand, while holding the frizzen in place with the other...pull the trigger and slowly lower the #### until the flint rests lightly, but firmly on the face of the frizzen. Checking of course, that the inside edge of the flint is not contacting the barrel. At that point, its edge should be perfectly parallel to the frizzen's face. Ease the #### back enough so it clears the frizzen, then snug the screw holding the flint down so that the flint is held securely. But not fully tightened down. Check the alignment again, by repeating step one. If the flint is still parallel, tighten up the screw fully. Recheck. If still good, you are done. That should give you a perfectly square flint, every time. Takes a bit of practise, but once mastered is quick and easy. In the photo, your #### and frizzen do appear to be out of line. It is also possible that the flint is too large. Do you have an instruction manual for the rifle? If so, it should give the right sized flint. Otherwise, the Pedersoli site should have the information you need. Hope this helps.
The flint is the correct size, the #### and frizzen are for sure out of alignment. The #### doesn't seem thick enough or be shimmed out enough. I will have to live with it and shoot the rifle the way it is and align everything the best I can and knap the flint square. The only alternative is to purchase a better quality lock and replace the one on the rifle. From doing some reading this seems to be a issue. There are a few lock makers that produce a drop in lock for replacement. Seems a little disappointing that they come from Pedersoli like that.
 
If you try to shim the square shaft the #### rotates on will be too short, if you bend it out the stop on the #### won't catch the top of the lock plate and I think the flint will crash into the pan. I wish I knew of someone local that is knowledgable about lock, I would get it looked at. It is very hard on flints as well.
 
A couple of good sources for replacement gun locks are Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf. It may also be possible to acquire a replacement Pedersoli lock through Shooter's Choice, in Waterloo. They are a retailer of Pedersoli firearms.
 
Maliboy67: Check out VTI Replica Gun Parts. This site shows a complete listing of lock parts for the Frontier rifle.
 
I am surprised given the good reputation for quality Pedersoli enjoys. I've shot some of their frontstuffers and their Sharps repros, all very good fit, finish and function.

I presume this is off warranty, but if is clearly a manufacturing defect, maybe contact 'em anyway and see if they'd accommodate in the interests of maintaining their reputation? Only a thought. I myself would probably swallow my rage and order a replacement from TOTW.
 
Back
Top Bottom