Quick question for you guys here!! You're the pros on this so to speak.
Firstly, I was under the impression that the new RCMP policy is that you cannot rechamber an antique to something that the gun never was. In English: If the gun was in 45 colt and was only produced in that caliber, you cannot re-chamber to an antique cartridge and unregister it.
So previously, you could obtain a pistol manufactured before 1898, have it rechambered in any modern centrefire cartridge (except the ones they specifically forbade) and it would be treated as an antique (basically making it non-restricted), however due to policy change brought around with the Swiss Arms/858 debacle, this is no longer the case.
So basically, the way I'm perceiving it, I'd have to find a pistol that a): was made before 1898, b): was produced in a cartridge that isn't specifically deemed "non-antique", that is also c): still available today.
I was also under the impression that if commercial ammunition is readily available to purchase for the firearm from your average gun shop, it is no longer really classified as antique, but rather a restricted weapon.
If I'm completely off my rocker with this, let me know!
Firstly, I was under the impression that the new RCMP policy is that you cannot rechamber an antique to something that the gun never was. In English: If the gun was in 45 colt and was only produced in that caliber, you cannot re-chamber to an antique cartridge and unregister it.
So previously, you could obtain a pistol manufactured before 1898, have it rechambered in any modern centrefire cartridge (except the ones they specifically forbade) and it would be treated as an antique (basically making it non-restricted), however due to policy change brought around with the Swiss Arms/858 debacle, this is no longer the case.
So basically, the way I'm perceiving it, I'd have to find a pistol that a): was made before 1898, b): was produced in a cartridge that isn't specifically deemed "non-antique", that is also c): still available today.
I was also under the impression that if commercial ammunition is readily available to purchase for the firearm from your average gun shop, it is no longer really classified as antique, but rather a restricted weapon.
If I'm completely off my rocker with this, let me know!


















































