455 to 45 acp

can14

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.4%
163   1   1
I was just wondering if converting a 455/476 pistol to 45acp change its status? I thought the original calibre and age of the pistol gave it its status.
455 is a good calibre to begin with and served the Commonwealth well. I am leaving mine original.
 
There is a sticky at the top of the page that explains this, as well as several threads. Don't mean to be short with the answer, but it's been addressed numerous times. No matter what the conversion, you'll always be limited by the pressure capacities of any cartridge, so reloading remains the best way to get an antique shooting.
 
Glad you are going to leave it. I feel that much of the fun of the antiques is using them in the original chambering. And 455 isn't a tough one to get components for.

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen pics or stories here of a Webley stretched or busted up after a mistake with 45acp.
 
I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen pics or stories here of a Webley stretched or busted up after a mistake with 45acp.

OK, here they are .... d:h: ;)

Blown01a-1.jpg
Blown05a.jpg
 
Those are the same pictures from 10 years ago. I think what he was referring to was NEW pictures.

Although mine is cut for .45 ACP (which does not change the antique status) I will be reloading for it using BP 15-18 grns under a 265GR .452 HB projectile.

I also have .45ACP to .455 Webley conversion moon clips, although never shot .455 in it, of yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom