Baker Rifle Kit arrived,Now I need someone who can build it .Help please

Dave.S

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
Just picked up a Baker Rifle Kit from the Rifle shoppe in OK.I need to find someone who can build it for me.The closer to Ont the better but I will deal with anyone.So Im looking for a reputable builder/Smith.Lock is already built,Barrel needs bayo lug barrel lugs sights ect put on.Stock is about 90% inletted Metal/Brass is as cast.If you can or know someone please pass on the there contact info Cheers all.Dave
 
X2 on Taylor.

You would have to ship it to BC and back but you will end up with a top notch build.
 
I've a BP rifle that is a crazy high end piece in mid build. An inherited conglomeration of expensive kit. Cost...600 $ ( guessing although the receipts are all around somewhere) in the '80's. Green Mountain bbl, nice walnut blank...everything.
Lol, I'm metal guy.
Not wood.
I'm scared to tackle it truth be told.
 
Ok Dropped the kit off at a reputable builder.He is putting everything on the barrel for me and rough fitting everything together,leaving polishing the metal parts and sanding wood to me.Warning it is expensive to have someone build a kit for you.The kit is expensive.For most guys looking to get a Baker I would say buy the one from Middlesex village They check and repair if needed the rifle before shipping.If you need a rifled barrel buy the one from Track of the Wolf and have a smith put it on for you.Or shoot it as a smoothbore.I will post pics of the Kit and rifle when it comes back.Enjoy your summer.Dave
 
Rifle came back,not happy at all.builder who is retired trashed it.Patchbox hinge has a 1/8" gap barrel stuck into stock cant be removed broke stock trying to get it out.wow what a complete clusterf%#@
 
I feel for you...I had an old gun messed over some time back by two purportedly competent guys. Turned into a money pit and still makes me sour just looking at it

Maybe you can salvage the barrel and associated metal bits and just get a replacement stock to help mitigate the cost.
 
I'll be starting my Rifle Shoppe Baker Rifle build this winter... This is my first gun build though so I'm not sure I'll be able to help you, but maybe when I'm finished? Can you PM me the gunsmith who messed up your gun to in Ontario so I can avoid that person should I need help with my build.
 
Thanks guys. I already have and read Recreating the American Long Rifle and British Military Flintlocks. I looked into The Gunsmith of Grenville, but the availability is poor. I also watched duelist1954's 30 part build of the Track of the Wolf Buck's County Rifle and found it to be valuable to see how things are done. I'm going to take it slow and think through each step, but I have confidence I'll be able to build the gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom