Heavy barrel fouling in a Win 1892

mbogo3

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
I have acquired a 44-40 Win 92 with a bore so fouled you couldn't see the rifling hardly .I alternated using Kroil overnight along with an oversized copper brush and about 75 patches soaked in Outers Nitro Solvent Bore Cleaner.Used about 3/4 of the bottle and dry patches to swab.Can now see some lands and grooves.Any ideas other than second verse same as the first! Harold
 
A couple of years ago I picked up an old 38-55 for 50 bucks. Initially it looked like a rusty 410 bore. I cleaned and cleaned it. I then shot a number of gas check cast boolites and now the bore is smooth and it shoots well.

My personal opinion is the gas checks scrape the crude off the barrel walls.

Don't give up it will shoot well again.
 
A treatment with Lead-Away cloth wrapped around a brush would improve things as well. It has removed a lot of crud from old barrels for me.

Just don't use it on any surface you want to protect! It will quite happily eat bluing.

I just did some filing on a commercial Bowie knife handle and after using several grades of emery cloth, I gave both the micarta scales and the steel tang a final lustre with the Lead-Away cloth. Did a great job.
 
Just for Shlitz & giggles, you could treat it like an old BP bore. It may be lull of lead. Pour boiling water through a few times, see what comes out. Use your over-size brass brush while still hot, might help, maybe not. But it's free.
 
Just for Shlitz & giggles, you could treat it like an old BP bore. It may be lull of lead. Pour boiling water through a few times, see what comes out. Use your over-size brass brush while still hot, might help, maybe not. But it's free.

I was thinking the same...Possible that it is BP fowling. Throw some detergent in bore and some warm water. Do not use boiling water. Scrub it out, wipe till dry, then use some WD40 on a couple of patches. Then recheck...
 
Back
Top Bottom