12-6 status change??

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I have a Colt SAA 32-20 cal. Registered as 12-6. If I change it up, to a .45 LC gun, can I get the status changed to restricted? Or will the CFC say no, that's not the way it was originally, the way things went with converting guns by cal. for antique status? I have the parts, and the time, just wondering if anyone has tried this route.
(32-20 is a cal. that can't be trusted, must prohibit such things) Thanks, Bill..
 
I could be out to lunch here but I don't think a 32-20 is a prohib round. The .32 ACP and .25 ACP are due to their usually found in short barrelled pistols.
When you switched the old green certs to the new reg, some clerk probably misread the 32-20 as a .32 ACP and gave you a 12(6) because of that. The other reason for your 12(6) may be the barrel length of your SAA. Under 4.25" and you are prohib. Changing to the .45LC won't change a 12(6) unless you have a > 4.25" barrel.

And yes! You can convert a 12(6) to restricted if you meet the requirements. You may need a verifier to do the paperwork.

Edit: looked it up. Sorry! I was wrong. It is a prohib caliber!
 
Last edited:
Something I learned a long time ago with reloading for the .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk is that I could use 32-20 load data and even 32-20 cases with some revolvers.

It would destroy all value, could you have your 32-20 cylinder rechamber to accept a .30 carbine and always remember that now it is a wildcat .30 carbine. One of which should never see a factory loaded ammo.
 
Ya .32-20 is no go. I think you could get it to restricted, I don't know a lot about SAA's, is there enough meat on the receiver to handle it?

Same frame, swap out the cyl. and barrel. Not a bad job at all. I can't even get an offer on the gun as a 12-6. The thing is very nice to use as a 32-20, but .45 LC has always been a favorite too.
I still have plenty of 12-6 guns to continue as a card carrying gun perv. I don't want to lose the Colt if the all mighty ones get the rules altered to "no prohibs, off to the crusher with you".
 
What barrel length is it and what is the DOM?
Some pics would be nice...or am I not allowed to even look at a Prohib let alone own one.
In spite of the looming Election Bill C-42(The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act) is on the books and if the SAA in question was not intended for conceal carry which was the Spirit of the Law at the time then common sense would suggest that it is an Antique or at least Restricted.
 
What barrel length is it and what is the DOM?
Some pics would be nice...or am I not allowed to even look at a Prohib let alone own one.
In spite of the looming Election Bill C-42(The Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act) is on the books and if the SAA in question was not intended for conceal carry which was the Spirit of the Law at the time then common sense would suggest that it is an Antique or at least Restricted.

Hi Skinny. The gun is a 4 3/4 inch built in 1906 I think. So a regular old gun, other than cal. Pics are still on the EE, 1/2 way down second page in the 12-X.
I think you are supposed to be registered, and neighbors notified if you are looking at these types of photos.
 
if the SAA in question was not intended for conceal carry which was the Spirit of the Law at the time then common sense would suggest that it is an Antique or at least Restricted.

section 12 (6) had nothing to do with concealed carry; it was a clever gimmick to prohibit 58% of all handguns in Canada while appearing to only prohibit a few junky old handguns. I have rebarreled a prohibited luger and had it changed to restricted but also was told by the firearms center, that the frame itself reverts to prohibited status if the barrel is removed. That is not what the law says but is what RCMP policy is. Further, I rechambered and barrel sleeved a pre 1898 32 revolver to a non prohib cartridge (230 - 297 or 22 Morris) and it remained prohibited because while the law does not appear to say so, I was told that I cannot create an antique from a 150 year old prohib. Some guns I believe were converted and declared antique but more recently it would appear that the RCMP / CFC have changed their policies

cheers mooncoon
 
section 12 (6) had nothing to do with concealed carry; it was a clever gimmick to prohibit 58% of all handguns in Canada while appearing to only prohibit a few junky old handguns. I have rebarreled a prohibited luger and had it changed to restricted but also was told by the firearms center, that the frame itself reverts to prohibited status if the barrel is removed. That is not what the law says but is what RCMP policy is. Further, I rechambered and barrel sleeved a pre 1898 32 revolver to a non prohib cartridge (230 - 297 or 22 Morris) and it remained prohibited because while the law does not appear to say so, I was told that I cannot create an antique from a 150 year old prohib. Some guns I believe were converted and declared antique but more recently it would appear that the RCMP / CFC have changed their policies

cheers mooncoon

Thanks for the info Moon. I don't think the RCMP--CFC have notified the Federal Govt. of the small tweeks they have brought in as law in their own minds. If the Govt. would just give in, and issue taller boots and better class of sun glasses....
 
Current policy is that if a registered firearm is in a caliber qualifying it for restricted or prohibited status, it will not be reclassified if altered.
In the case of your 32-20, it is irrelevant. A handgun must be made pre-1898 to be deemed antique. !906 is waaaay to late.
Can't believe that you cannot sell an original SAA because of the caliber.
 
Were this gun mine I'd be looking into how to get it exported to the U.S.A. and sold at one of the better auctions. A Colt SAA in .32-20 will be worth far more there than here. Then I'd take the proceeds and buy an SAA in .45 Colt.
 
Current policy is that if a registered firearm is in a caliber qualifying it for restricted or prohibited status, it will not be reclassified if altered.
In the case of your 32-20, it is irrelevant. A handgun must be made pre-1898 to be deemed antique. !906 is waaaay to late.
Can't believe that you cannot sell an original SAA because of the caliber.

That's the way I thought as well. I don't want antique status, just go from prohib to restricted. It should be the same rules as putting a longer barrel on a prohib to get it reclassified. I suppose I could check with the tec department, but sounds like a waste of time. Thanks, Bill..
 
That's the way I thought as well. I don't want antique status, just go from prohib to restricted. It should be the same rules as putting a longer barrel on a prohib to get it reclassified. I suppose I could check with the tec department, but sounds like a waste of time. Thanks, Bill..

maybe wait until after the election; if the Conservatives get in with a minority and if your local MP is Conservative, there may be some hope in challenging the policy of how the RCMP define conversions from prohibited to restricted. Try using the provision of bill C 42 which says more or less that the police cannot arbitrarily change status of a gun (sort of) That provision came about because of the changes in classification of some Swiss Arms rifles. The counter point is that I think somewhere in the criminal code may be a statement that all parts of a prohibited weapon are prohibited. The original issue being that some converted full autos could be reconverted by changing one or two small parts. The issue of what class of handgun the frame was for is somewhat ridiculous because many modern revolvers are manufactured in both prohibited and restricted class depending on what barrel and cylinder was installed.

the reason I said minority for the government is that I don't think any party is going to get a majority this time around but a Conservative minority might clamp down on the degree to which the RCMP can enforce policies.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for the info Moon. I don't think the RCMP--CFC have notified the Federal Govt. of the small tweeks they have brought in as law in their own minds. If the Govt. would just give in, and issue taller boots and better class of sun glasses....

OF COURSE NOT lol! They know Harper and us are out for blood after High River. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom