How to import an Antique from an individual in the US???

Halger280HVMag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Can someone who has done this please help?

I have found a Colt SAA .41 LC made in 1882 owned privately in the US.
Can that gentleman ship me that Colt?
Can I import that Colt without further ado?
Or what?

I need to know the legally correct method of doing this transaction.

I am hopeful that an experienced Antiques Trader such as Dingus might know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 
I've imported about 50 antique guns from the us over the last 7 or 8 years i just have them send it like shipping anything else i only had to get a antique letter from the rcmp for 1 gun and that's because the seller wouldn't ship it without it.
 
Declare it as "pre-1898 antique".

Make a "to whom it may concern" letter that lists serial number, calibre, date of manufacture, make, and model. The letter should say the revolver is a legal antique in USA and Canada, and legally classified as a non-firearm in both countries. Email the letter to the seller and have him print it and put it in the box with the revolver so that it will be found if the box is opened by customs, and it will be opened by customs. Usually customs releases it the same day, occasionally there will be a 1-2 week delay while customs contacts the RCMP in Ottawa to confirm it is antique.

Get the seller to send it to you by US Postal Service, using "Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box". Shipping will cost about $40.

That's how I do it and I never had a problem. If you need help with the letter let me know.
 
You dont need a RCMP letter tho it helps sometimes.
just use that home made Letter 41colt on CGN made up. just get the shipper to fill in the bottom of that letter get the seller to write Antique firearm Documents inside then if its opened they see that letter.
A RCMP Letter is better but if the gun is under 175000 Ser # and marked 41 LC it should be no problem. ship it priority mail or expressmail.
That gun being in its original caliber and being 41 LC is a good thing hopefully the caliber marking on the barrels side is readable that always helps.
 
Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Glen at CBSA, badge number 20681, in Manitoba, he clearly said to me that even if the gun is an Antique by age or serial number, if it discharges centerfire or rimfire ammo, it then becomes a handgun and has to be registered as a weapon. He pointed me to Memorandum D19-13-2, and the definitions of Antique. Here it is:
Antique firearms – The term "antique firearm" means:
(i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition; or
(ii) any firearm that is prescribed to be an antique firearm as listed in the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms.

By the looks of what their regulations say and by what the CBSA agent said, a Colt SAA .41 LC made in 1882 cannot be imported as an Antique firearm, but only as a Restricted handgun. And I hope I am wrong.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html
 
Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Glen at CBSA, badge number 20681, in Manitoba, he clearly said to me that even if the gun is an Antique by age or serial number, if it discharges centerfire or rimfire ammo, it then becomes a handgun and has to be registered as a weapon. He pointed me to Memorandum D19-13-2, and the definitions of Antique. Here it is:
Antique firearms – The term "antique firearm" means:
(i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition; or
(ii) any firearm that is prescribed to be an antique firearm as listed in the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms.

By the looks of what their regulations say and by what the CBSA agent said, a Colt SAA .41 LC made in 1882 cannot be imported as an Antique firearm, but only as a Restricted handgun. And I hope I am wrong.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html

Wouldn't surprise me if he was blowing smoke out of his ass. Kinda like the RCMP asking why you are driving with an unlocked rifle in the truck, " It's illegal!"
No sir, actually it's not and here is why...
Try another CBSA employee, and explain that you are confused about the contradictory versions of interpretations of Canada's gun laws. Might be surprised, someone might be helpful to your cause.
 
The problem is this he said....quoting the CBSA guidelines, that I also found on their website... (i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition; This basically says...in my humble opinion( and I guess, his opinion...) that basically any non black powder Antique, is NOT an Antique. And yes, the guy did come across as a prick and somewhat anti gun. But I just don't want to buy an "Antique" in the US, have it shipped to Canada, and have it either confiscated or be forced to register it as a Restricted.
 
The problem is this he said....quoting the CBSA guidelines, that I also found on their website... (i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition; This basically says...in my humble opinion( and I guess, his opinion...) that basically any non black powder Antique, is NOT an Antique. And yes, the guy did come across as a prick and somewhat anti gun. But I just don't want to buy an "Antique" in the US, have it shipped to Canada, and have it either confiscated or be forced to register it as a Restricted.

CBSA guidelines are not law. They are guidelines. His opinion doesn't matter vs the law.
 
Still an expensive Gamble...hate to be an interesting clip on their reality show " We're not sure about this...so we are going to confiscate it as a precaution "
 
Actually the CBSA agent even went as far as saying..."if I would be the officer in charge when this arrived, I would deem it a restricted firearm and you would have to register it accordingly", so definitely a worrisome comment to me. So he did not give me an opinion, he actually said NO, not an Antique. I really want to hear otherwise from someone who has imported these before. BTW, I was asking about a Colt 1892 in .41.
 
CBSA guidelines are not law. They are guidelines. His opinion doesn't matter vs the law.

(i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition;

So if if this "CBSA guideline" is what prevents my Antique from entering the country, what law do you propose I use in telling them they are wrong? Please do tell.
 
I think the CBSA guy is only giving you half the definition. There is a very important two letter word in the entire wording....OR

I copied and pasted this from the RCMP Website

Antique Firearms

This fact sheet is intended for individuals who wish to acquire an antique firearm. It presents information about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and corresponding regulations.

The Definition of an Antique

The Criminal Code defines an antique firearm as:

Any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, and that has not been re-designed to discharge such ammunition, or
Any firearm prescribed to be an antique firearm.
The following firearms are prescribed to be antique firearms under the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms:

Black Powder Reproductions:

of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897;
(Note that all other reproductions of long guns are considered non-restricted firearms. They don’t need to be registered but a licence to possess them is required. As an example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles are considered non-restricted firearms and not antiques.)

Rifles:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine;
Shotguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge cartridges;
Handguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge .32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .32 Smith and Wesson, .32 Smith and Wesson Long, .32‑20 Winchester, .38 Smith and Wesson; .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38-40 Winchester, .44‑40 Winchester, or .45 Colt cartridges.



Now, maybe I missed this when I went to University, as I only took Arts and not law, but it seems to me that .41 LC is not one of the calibers mentioned, so does that not make the pistol in question a prescribed antique? If I'm wrong here, let me know.
 
Thanks for that! Basically the CBSA kinda had some of the info, but left out some very important details and exemptions.
I think the CBSA guy is only giving you half the definition. There is a very important two letter word in the entire wording....OR

I copied and pasted this from the RCMP Website

Antique Firearms

This fact sheet is intended for individuals who wish to acquire an antique firearm. It presents information about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and corresponding regulations.

The Definition of an Antique

The Criminal Code defines an antique firearm as:

Any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, and that has not been re-designed to discharge such ammunition, or
Any firearm prescribed to be an antique firearm.
The following firearms are prescribed to be antique firearms under the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms:

Black Powder Reproductions:

of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897;
(Note that all other reproductions of long guns are considered non-restricted firearms. They don’t need to be registered but a licence to possess them is required. As an example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles are considered non-restricted firearms and not antiques.)

Rifles:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine;
Shotguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge cartridges;
Handguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than .22 Calibre Short, .22 Calibre Long or .22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge .32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .32 Smith and Wesson, .32 Smith and Wesson Long, .32‑20 Winchester, .38 Smith and Wesson; .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38-40 Winchester, .44‑40 Winchester, or .45 Colt cartridges.



Now, maybe I missed this when I went to University, as I only took Arts and not law, but it seems to me that .41 LC is not one of the calibers mentioned, so does that not make the pistol in question a prescribed antique? If I'm wrong here, let me know.
 
CBSA is conveniently ignoring half the law, and I'm not surprised.
Include the declaration and mark the shipping declaration as pre 1898 antique you are good to go. You don't even have to pay duty since it is pre 1950 item.

I did it before and cbsa held it for a couple weeks to confirm it was antique, then sent it on its way.
 
Back
Top Bottom