original Sam colt Model 1851 3rd Model...opinions needed

A wall hanger, but it does seem to have all the original screws.
I would ask how the bore looks but it is not to be shot.
How much is it worth?
As a quess $600 - $1,000
 
Nice pistol.... If only it could talk
Unfortunately it is only good for display now. What caused the crack? possibly a barrel obstruction?
You know; a brave gunsmith might try to put a new barrel liner in and make it functional again.
I personally wouldn't pay over $800 in its present condition. I would however reline it and get her functional again so it could join my other antiques.
As for how much its worth? $600 to $800 and if you are lucky $1000
Just my 2 cents :)
 
Isn't the 3rd Gen the 20th Century remakes? It looks original. If not, then "wow".

Anyway, if original, well-worn but functional ones can be had for as low as 1500-1800 so I'd suggest this one, in its present wall hanger condition, would fall in the $400-$600 range; probably worth more in parts. What would boost it is if the inspector's marks/regiment marks/cartouches etc are there, but this one looks too well worn to meet that.

Interesting piece nonetheless. Would look great on display.
 
What does the legend say on the top of the barrel. Third generation implies made in the last 30 or 40 years but the fuzzy legend looks original ie 1st generation. The crack in the barrel looks to me to be a result of poor material as in brittle and I would worry about the whole barrel assembly relative to sleeving it. You can buy original Colt Navys for as little as $1000 if they are in tired condition and that one I would place in the $300 - $400 range in part because the wooden grips are also heavily sanded. Also I don't believe the barrels of modern Italian replicas are interchangeable with original guns; I know there are significant differences between a modern barrel and a original gun that I own.

cheers mooncoon
 
What does the legend say on the top of the barrel. Third generation implies made in the last 30 or 40 years but the fuzzy legend looks original ie 1st generation. The crack in the barrel looks to me to be a result of poor material as in brittle and I would worry about the whole barrel assembly relative to sleeving it. You can buy original Colt Navys for as little as $1000 if they are in tired condition and that one I would place in the $300 - $400 range in part because the wooden grips are also heavily sanded. Also I don't believe the barrels of modern Italian replicas are interchangeable with original guns; I know there are significant differences between a modern barrel and a original gun that I own.

cheers mooncoon

Agree with Mooncoon
 
thanks for all the comments and help here just wanted to Clarify it's a third Model Not Generation..also stamped Sam L Colt Address new York city..from what i can tell built between 1850-1860...serial # 36###..

thanks again..
 
Back
Top Bottom