What the heck is this thing?

looks like a cross between the chamelot delvigne and a fagnus. not really sure. French 1874 officers model maybe? French guns usually post their date of manufacture right on the barrel btw.
 
Dropping in a round would be easiest; a chamber cast would be more bother. I'll check and see if I have any empty .38 S&W cases - easily mailable.
The revolver looks to be decent quality, from the latter part of the 19th century. Can't read what is on the barrel. There is an inscription on the backstrap. Is it any help?
 
Dropping in a round would be easiest; a chamber cast would be more bother. I'll check and see if I have any empty .38 S&W cases - easily mailable.
The revolver looks to be decent quality, from the latter part of the 19th century. Can't read what is on the barrel. There is an inscription on the backstrap. Is it any help?

Make sure its a resized brass case you send him. Brass that was fired in another gun is not the way to check what cartridge this gun could be.
Looking at that gun it should be a metric cartridge like 9mmm but someone mighta set it up for 38 S&W.
 
Make sure its a resized brass case you send him. Brass that was fired in another gun is not the way to check what cartridge this gun could be.
Looking at that gun it should be a metric cartridge like 9mmm but someone mighta set it up for 38 S&W.

If Fucha wants a casing, I'll pull a bullet and deprime. It the photo, the barrel has "38" engraved.
 
If Fucha wants a casing, I'll pull a bullet and deprime. It the photo, the barrel has "38" engraved.

thats a Good idea, that way its and original sized case. i only mentioed the resizeing because alot of guys just grab a fired case and if it dont fit they think its not that cartridge but it could be.
I seen the 38 in the picture but that is not a factory marking i dont think , my guess is it was added later in its life.
 
Last edited:
You've seen a lot of antique guns in your line of work, ever see anything like this?

Yes ive seen something simlar its rare tho. it mighta been engaved 38 at a later date. I would contact Alan trigger at the belgium littleguns web site and he will have some idea who made it.
im pretty sure its a belgium gun looking at the screws pokeing outa the trigger gard thats a belgian trait.
 
Here is an album of better images (including a picture of the cylinder face). http://imgur.com/a/SN6Cz. In addition, I don't think it's a 38 S&W. The diameter of the cylinder bullet cavities are 9.4mm and the length of the cylinder is 25.8mm. So the bullet cannot be longer than that. The only type I came up with is the 9mm makarov.
 
That is what Alan said to me today, next step is to take some pictures of the metal under the grips in order to determine the manufacturer!
 
This revolver was made by Établissements Levaux in Liége, Belgium, which is why the language on it is French.

Can you please provide a better, clearer view of the inscription on the barrel?

I'm sorry that I can find no more about it.

tac
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom