What the heck is this thing?

Looking at the picture of the back of the chambers shows an odd cartridge base configuration, and the side view of the revolver shows the rear of the cylinder too close to the breech face to allow a conventional rim.
Could the revolver be chambered for 9mm Perrin?
 
Funny how things work, I saw a gun in a collection just two days ago very similar to this one. It was chambered in 9mm. I wish I had looked it over more. I do remember that inside the chamber's was a small lip if that helps.
 
Thank you for the reply, the inscription is really faded and the finish makes it impossible to snap a clear picture (I've tried with multiple lighting set ups). It's pretty hard to see in person but here is the best I can make it out "F-laudrn brevele a parrz (paris, I think this is)boulevark des falrene 38". I apologize to any French speakers in the thread, I'm pretty terrible!
 
Thank you for the reply, the inscription is really faded and the finish makes it impossible to snap a clear picture (I've tried with multiple lighting set ups). It's pretty hard to see in person but here is the best I can make it out "F-laudrn brevele a parrz (paris, I think this is)boulevark des falrene 38". I apologize to any French speakers in the thread, I'm pretty terrible!

It is probably the word Brevéte ['licensed copy', allegedly] á Paris, Boulevard des ? 38 [address#38?], as this is how addresses are written on continental Europe - first the street name, then the number of the establishment on it. No need to apologise, not everybody is a French-speaker here. The Belgian-made revolver may therefore a copy of an original French design - allegedly authorised or not. This was common practice in the 19th century to give the impression to the buyer that he was buying the real deal. Colts and Smith & Wessons were commonly frawked like this and marked as such.

tac
 
Last edited:
9mm Galand is an odd round. Thick rimmed reusable steel cartridge case intended for reloading without reloading tools. The neck of the case is finely threaded internally. Reprime, scoop of powder, then screw in a fresh bullet. Last time I checked (have a 9mm Gland revolver, thought it would be interesting to have a specimen cartridge) individual rounds were north of $100 on the collectors' market.
 
I have a belgian made gun in a some sort of 38 calibre . Definitely not a S&W. I wouldn't be surprised if this one is similar. Has to be a way to make a custom round for it from something. Unfortunately my gun is in such rough shape it isn't worth the trouble.
 
Back
Top Bottom