Webley mk1 45acp TrailBoss loads report

olivierlamothe

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hello happy antique shooters !!!

Couples weeks ago I looked evrey where on the web to find base line to start loading TrailBoss in my presious webley and found nothing. So I had to work up a load. I want to share my experimentation to you today.

For the test I used 45 acp with .452" 200gr soft cast SWC.

Fist load 3.8gr :
Chrono average : 578 fps
Load was verry light and unaccurate pressure was not high enought to make the the base of the bullet grip the rifling right. The rounds where all over the target at 15m. I could see the bullet traveling to the target each time.

Load 4.1gr :
Chrone average: 606 fps
Load was still too light same results as the previous load.

Load 4.4gr
Chrono average : 630fps
This load was a bit more accurate and had more kick. I could still see the bullet flying to the target.

Load 4.8gr
Chrono average : 662 fps
With this load, thing got serious. The accuracy incrased significaly. On a rest I did a 3.5" group at 15m
The round had good power and i could not see the round going at the target.

Load 5gr
Chrono average : 690 fps
I had the same accuracy that the 4.8gr but more kick to the gun. This load was the last i tested i stopped there because the speed was faster than the original load and because at 5gr the 45acp case was prety full. Remember you should never compress TrailBoss. It change the burnrate.

So there is my experimentation with trailboss. I could not find any info of the pressure but i can tell you that there was no signe of overpressure on any of the load i tested out.

I hope this info can help someone out !

Cheers,

Olivier
 
Last edited:
Don't use trailboss for 45 acp. Trailboss is made for cartridges that have black powder case volume. For 45 acp even in antique revolver you are ok with hp38, win231, bullsey and tightgroup. You'll get 700 fps with roughly 3.5+- grains of these powders. Save Trailboss for big cases, 45 acp is not it.
 
Tho Trail boss is better in longer cases it does work in shorter cases to like 455 MKI and 45 acp.
Unique is better tho but alot of guys are useing what they can find as any smokeless powder is hard to find now so its more about useing what you can get and makeing it work.

Good the OP took the time to post his results :)
I use TB to but use it mainly in the 45 schofield with great accuracy it does shoot better at the higher end of the loads.
 
Thanks Olivier! I appreciate all the info!

Hello happy antique shooters !!!

Couples weeks ago I looked evrey where on the web to find base line to start loading TrailBoss in my presious webley and found nothing. So I had to work up a load. I want to share my experimentation to you today.

For the test I used 45 acp with .452" 200gr soft cast SWC.

Fist load 3.8gr :
Chrono average : 578 fps
Load was verry light and unaccurate pressure was not high enought to make the the base of the bullet grip the rifling right. The rounds where all over the target at 15m. I could see the bullet traveling to the target each time.

Load 4.1gr :
Chrone average: 606 fps
Load was still too light same results as the previous load.

Load 4.4gr
Chrono average : 630fps
This load was a bit more accurate and had more kick. I could still see the bullet flying to the target.

Load 4.8gr
Chrono average : 662 fps
With this load, thing got serious. The accuracy incrased significaly. On a rest I did a 3.5" group at 15m
The round had good power and i could not see the round going at the target.

Load 5gr
Chrono average : 690 fps
I had the same accuracy that the 4.8gr but more kick to the gun. This load was the last i tested i stopped there because the speed was faster than the original load and because at 5gr the 45acp case was prety full. Remember you should never compress TrailBoss. It change the burnrate.

So there is my experimentation with trailboss. I could not find any info of the pressure but i can tell you that there was no signe of overpressure on any of the load i tested out.

I hope this info can help someone out !

Cheers,

Olivier
 
Don't use trailboss for 45 acp. Trailboss is made for cartridges that have black powder case volume. For 45 acp even in antique revolver you are ok with hp38, win231, bullsey and tightgroup. You'll get 700 fps with roughly 3.5+- grains of these powders. Save Trailboss for big cases, 45 acp is not it.

I found traillboss to be verry accurate and clean burning powder on my webley. The hp-38 loads i tested out where not constant on the chrono and even as high as 5.2gr the powder was not burning completly leaving the barrel and chamber verry dirty a poor accuracy and ramdom chrono results.
 
Tho Trail boss is better in longer cases it does work in shorter cases to like 455 MKI and 45 acp.
Unique is better tho but alot of guys are useing what they can find as any smokeless powder is hard to find now so its more about useing what you can get and makeing it work.

Good the OP took the time to post his results :)
I use TB to but use it mainly in the 45 schofield with great accuracy it does shoot better at the higher end of the loads.

I totaly agree with you ! Antique shooter deal with what they can found. Buy still traillboss is a verry good powder on my opinion ! And it's safe you can't realy over charge it 5gr is the max capacity load in the 45acp cases. I'm happy to share my results with CGN antique lovers !

Cheers dingus !
 
Thanks for taking the time to post your results for us.
I prefer Unique in my Webley, but I use Trailboss as well with decent results.
 
I haven't the courage to try Trail Boss in my .44 Iver Johnson but your method of working up a load seems sound. I started with 1/2 of the published loads of Unique and worked up until I achieved consistent case obturation. Accuracy is good and recoil is mild compared to the Blackhorn 209 that I had first tried. Published data for Unique was a little over 5 grains and I am loading 4 grains with good results. When I run out of Unique I'll try working up a load with HP-38 or Tightgroup.
 
I love TB!... 3.1 to 3.5 grains in a 32-20 full size case behind a 100 grain .314" soft lead wadcutter (deep seated) pushes velocity from 865 to 1025 fps from my Swiss 1882 revolver. I regularly post groups from 1 to 2.5 inches at 12-15 yards. Very happy with the results. Clean burning to and more accurate than many modern revolvers. Yes, don't compress TB or you'll experience a potentially damaging pressure spike. I can't fit more than 3.5 grains with a deep seated wadcutter.
 
I love TB!... 3.1 to 3.5 grains in a 32-20 full size case behind a 100 grain .314" soft lead wadcutter (deep seated) pushes velocity from 865 to 1025 fps from my Swiss 1882 revolver. I regularly post groups from 1 to 2.5 inches at 12-15 yards. Very happy with the results. Clean burning to and more accurate than many modern revolvers. Yes, don't compress TB or you'll experience a potentially damaging pressure spike. I can't fit more than 3.5 grains with a deep seated wadcutter.

Wow nice little antique pistol you have and also prety accurate ! I'm impressed ! Is it hard to find reload supplys for that caliber ?
 
I use Trail Boss in 32-20 and 7.5x32R ("7.5mm Swiss Ordnance")... excellent accuracy and good power.
People are using it for reduced loads in everything from 30-06 to 45-70 to every pistol cartridge known to man.
I would be surprized if there isn't a "magic recipe" using Trail Boss in 45acp.
 
Just got around to reading your post. Thanks for documenting your experiments.

I can't comment on the Trail Boss; I've not used it.

Speculation on your load progression though: your increase in accuracy probably occurred when the bullet was accelerated hard enough to obdurate. The .452" is under-size for the Webley. You'll get better results with a .454" - .455" bullet; or with something smaller paper patched up to groove size.
 
Just got around to reading your post. Thanks for documenting your experiments.

I can't comment on the Trail Boss; I've not used it.

Speculation on your load progression though: your increase in accuracy probably occurred when the bullet was accelerated hard enough to obdurate. The .452" is under-size for the Webley. You'll get better results with a .454" - .455" bullet; or with something smaller paper patched up to groove size.

Thank you, it's always a pleasure to share uncomun info on antique loading. I hope it helps shooters around.

For the accuracy, you are right it was the problem bullet seal more proprely with higher pressure !

I'm now on a other project i have to find a load for my webley MK1** i bought 45 mag brass and i will get the cyl altherate to fit it. I was told 6gr of traillBoss i'll start there and i'll post an other report.

Cheers !
 
Last edited:
Don't use trailboss for 45 acp. Trailboss is made for cartridges that have black powder case volume. For 45 acp even in antique revolver you are ok with hp38, win231, bullsey and tightgroup. You'll get 700 fps with roughly 3.5+- grains of these powders. Save Trailboss for big cases, 45 acp is not it.

Not sure I agree with this. I have used Trailboss very successfully in 45ACP. I have found it to be a light recoiling accurate target load. One caution is do not compress the powder. The little donuts can break and give uneven pressure. You certainly can't use it for high power loads but Trailboss is intended for Cowboy loads so not really an issue. Based on what I know you cannot over pressure the case so long as you do not compress the powder. My 19112 was totallt reliable with Trailboss. Having said all that while I have used Trailboss in 45 ACP I do not use it regularly but tried it as an experiment when powders where in short supply. My normal powder in 45ACP is HS6 which has more versatility in loads and works really well.
 
Back
Top Bottom