.50 caliber is on the cusp for 3f and 2f. The one that works the best will depend on the rifling and your charge volume/weight.
For a flinter you want to use proper black powder. The substitutes won't flash off the pan correctly and there's lots of stories of the pan not igniting the main charge if you're using Pyrodex or Triple 7 for the main charge.
Because the pan powder is often suggested as 4f or 3f to ensure good ignition I would suggest you go with 3f just so you don't need two different granulation sizes.
The ball size and patch material and fit count for as much or more than which powder you use. So you'll need to experiment with a few different options to find the one that works for YOUR rifle. The blue and white pillow ticking from FabricLand or similar is often seen in use for patching. But it's not the only one that can work. The patch thickness works in conjunction with the ball size. And there's no other option but to try a few on some paper to find the setup that groups the best. What works for one is often the worst combination for someone else. For example I've got a percussion pistol that LOVES using the flannel cleaning patches as the ball patch. It's like it radar guided balls! But my rifle hates that same ball and patch combo.
As for powder brands Goex is one of the more commonly found black powder brands. Those that are lucky enough to have a choice will often go with the Schuetzen brand "Swiss" black powder for a possible upgrade in accuracy. I've managed to get some of both and find that I can miss just as easily with either. Again the ball and patch fit and choices count for more than any difference between the powders. The powder granulation is the next important choice and finally when those are optimized I'd say that the option of Goex vs Swiss might see some difference.
Don't discount the powder measure you use either. I prefer a longer and more narrow measure so that the "hump" on top doesn't affect the charge volume/weight by as much. But this is relative since if we go TOO small a diameter the powder won't fill evenly either.
FWIW on my two .50 caliber rifles I've had the better luck with a .490 round ball and a patch which results in a firm but not overly hard pressure to ram it home.
There's also the question of patch lube so that you keep the fouling soft and consistent between shots. This is a hotly debated topic with almost a religious like overtone to it. But the key is that you find something which cleans the bore as you ram the patch and ball home to where the ramming force is consistent. You WILL feel an added resistance after the first clean bore shot but a good and proper patch lube will ensure that the ramming resistance after that first clean bore shot stays the same from the second load and on through the rest of the day.
In my case I use "Moose Milk" made from mixing 1 part Ballistol to about 6 to 7 parts water and shake it up. This forms a white emulsion. I dribble 5 to 6 drops worth on the ruffle of the patch after the ball is set into the muzzle with the button end of a short starter. Then I long start it the rest of the way and ram home. The Ballistol and water mixture does a great job of keeping the ramming force consistent.
But then there was the day that I forgot the Moose Milk squeeze bottle at home. For that day I used the same trick as I'd seen others using. Namely putting the patch on my tongue to wet it with spit while I was measuring and dropping the powder. These "spit patches" worked just fine and in fact just as well as my Moose Milk. I just hated the feel of the cloth on my tongue all day long though....
