J Manton & Co SxS

OK. You are saying the numbers rear to the bore near the breach, and not the choke at the muzzle. The brush tells me they are choked, and my eyeball tells me that one of them must be about a full choke.

Not saying your barrels might not have some degree of choke as well but the numbers are bore measurements. Only way to know any of this for sure is to do what has already been mentioned and that would be to take bore measurements with a proper gauge. Otherwise we could probably speculate till the cows come home.
Do you have a caliper? You could get somewhat of a reading at the muzzles that might tell us something.
 
I posted this to learn, and I thank you all for your comments. Bores are choked and how much does not matter.

It is interesting you learn that the numbers refer to the bore, near the breach. I had no idea that a bore would be anything but 12.

I have now assumed it is a cheaply made English gun.

I had assumed it would be Belgian only because so many cheap guns of the day were Belgian.

If I can find the firing pins for it, I will shoot it with some black powder, just for kicks, then oil it up and hang it on the wall.
 
I posted this to learn, and I thank you all for your comments. Bores are choked and how much does not matter.

It is interesting you learn that the numbers refer to the bore, near the breach. I had no idea that a bore would be anything but 12.


I have now assumed it is a cheaply made English gun.

I had assumed it would be Belgian only because so many cheap guns of the day were Belgian.

If I can find the firing pins for it, I will shoot it with some black powder, just for kicks, then oil it up and hang it on the wall.

Some speculate that the reason for bores of a different size than the actual gauge back in the day was because of the type of wads used back then. They thought perhaps the patterns would be better. Some speculate that it was just a passing fad. We need someone to come back from the past and tell us.
 
Back
Top Bottom