tradition buckstalker

rkr

Regular
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi there.
I'm new to blackpowder as I just purchased my first muzzleloader , an inexpensive gun for sure but I need to know first if I like blackpowder.
what would be a good bullet/primer and powder for a newbie like me?

I'm not hiding that a good reason for buying a muzzleloader is that I don't like late hunting in december (I live in SK) at -25C.

at the same time I'm looking to buy a decent scope and mount. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

also, how good/accurate is tradition buckstalker?

thanks

24034293165_ef2369f081_b.jpg
 
Good enough gun to start out with. If you like it you will move on to something better. If not you shouldn't be out more than 250 bucks (if you bought the bare rifle).

You can shoot pellets or loose powder with this.

With Pellets you can generally get 50 grain and 30 grain pellets - either Pyrodex or 777.

A typical pellet load might be 80 or 100 grains under a Sabot (tons available from all the mfgs with anything from a 240 grain to 300 grain pistol bullet as the ultimate projectile), a Powerbelt or FPB (plus a number of others from other mfg's - a bullet that doesn't go in a sabot, but loads "as is" out of the box) or many of the traditional conicals (great plains bullets, maxi-hunters etc, that are "lubed" before loading.

This has 1:28 twist rifling - it can't shoot round balls (it can, but you would have to really reduce the powder charge making it impractical for hunting) and not all sabot's, solids or conicals will shoot well from it. Every maker has their own idea of "what twist is best", they are all different and as a result there is many bullets out there that will work in rifle A well but not rifle B.

Loose powder (Pyrodex RS or Select or 777 in FF is common) would allow you to "tweak" your charge (think of a handloader with centerfire stuff).

Accuracy is good out to 100 yards - you can probably stretch that with practice and "loose powder" (lots of piddling around, increasing 5 grains at a time, trying different projectiles)

Don't load it to the max (per the manual), stuff something down the tube and expect it to shoot like a center fire rifle - it don't work like that. Start at a lower charge weight and "piddle around" - there is no magic formula with these things.

In terms of glass, think of this as a "shotgun" - you have about the same max range and trajectory. It's never going to be a CF gun, don't fool yourself that it will be - treat it like you are hunting with a shotgun and you will be fine.

And if you are totally unfamiliar with BP guns, the "must clean after every time it is fired" is not a suggestion. If you don't you will have a rusted mess in a month or less - if it goes bang, it gets cleaned that night.

777 is a little less corrosive than other options (and if you believe the ads that say their BP Substitute is non-corrosive maybe they will buy you a new rifle when yours is rusted solid), but it still must be cleaned after it's been shot.
 
thanks for your reply... it's very informative.
I've paid 215 before taxes and expect to spend another 200 for a new/used scope and mounts.
 
I use 90g of Blackhorn 209 in mine and a 250g sabot. As long as the sabot/bullet fits snug it should be accurate, if it slides down the barrel too easy it may not be accurate. I have used from 200g xtp's to 330g hp lead bullets with good accuracy.
 
I use 90g of Blackhorn 209 in mine and a 250g sabot. As long as the sabot/bullet fits snug it should be accurate, if it slides down the barrel too easy it may not be accurate. I have used from 200g xtp's to 330g hp lead bullets with good accuracy.
What ml do you have?
 
That is the buck stalker I was talking about, I have been using it for the past 3 years. I just got a new muzzleloader for Christmas, it is the traditions vortek. I can't wait to try it out. The buck stalker will be a loner to get a few other people out hunting.
 
That is the buck stalker I was talking about, I have been using it for the past 3 years. I just got a new muzzleloader for Christmas, it is the traditions vortek. I can't wait to try it out. The buck stalker will be a loner to get a few other people out hunting.

how far can you shoot while you can still knock down a whitetail?
also, what would be a good and inexpensive scope? I found only 2 models at Cabelas and they aren't cheap
 
The muzzleloader is capable of shooting a lot farther than I have shot. It takes a lot of range time to know the trajectory of your bullet, but the bullet will kill out past 200 yards if you can place it were it needs to go. I don't shoot past about 130 yards, but am planning on working on that this coming summer. I wouldn't cheep out too much on the scope, because they take a bit of a pounding on a muzzleloader. I have a Burris 2-7 on mine, but have also had Nikon pro staff , and redfield revolution on some of my rifles and like them very much.
 
Back
Top Bottom