Flintlocks in The Revenant

They were movie prop flintlocks in that main, lots of shooting not much priming. I understand they are made replica trapdoor springfields coming reading online.
 
It looked to me (twice I believe) that Leonardo got two shots off without reloading (taking the horse from the French comes to mind - kills one guy right away and then as he's riding away, takes out another).
 
It looked to me (twice I believe) that Leonardo got two shots off without reloading (taking the horse from the French comes to mind - kills one guy right away and then as he's riding away, takes out another).

Saw that. I chalked it up to maybe the French guy had two pistols that just happened to be loaded.

I understand they are made replica trapdoor springfields coming reading online.

Not sure what you mean here.
 
Saw that. I chalked it up to maybe the French guy had two pistols that just happened to be loaded.



Not sure what you mean here.

Yeah sorry about that. Movie gun suppliers apparently use Springfield Trapdoor replicas reworked to look like flintlocks. They have nonstandard bores and fire 30 cal BP blanks. I was reading about it online. Real flintlocks are only used when the script states a reloading scene.
 
I saw some photos of the guns used and in addition to the replicas noted in the link, there were 2 twelve guage Cooey shotguns with flintlocks attached at the breach end. They apparently were used with 12 guage shotgun shell blanks and almost certainly used some distance from the camera where the difference would not be noticed

cheers mooncoon
 
I saw some photos of the guns used and in addition to the replicas noted in the link, there were 2 twelve guage Cooey shotguns with flintlocks attached at the breach end. They apparently were used with 12 guage shotgun shell blanks and almost certainly used some distance from the camera where the difference would not be noticed

cheers mooncoon

Doug did you the see the pictures I posted on FB. It shows the two shotguns as well lots of ML in a cargo trailer.....
 
I never seen the movie yet but the TV short where leo burrys himself or the bear burys him reminded me of a old movie ( Man in the wilderness) where the main actor buried himself in leaves after a black bear attack.
I hope the whole movie is not a modern remake of that old movie. Has that look to it. the movie im talking about was made in the 1970s so alot wont have seen it.
The original was a very well made movie which I liked but im hopeing this is not a remake but something new. not sure on the flintlocks used.
 
Doug did you the see the pictures I posted on FB. It shows the two shotguns as well lots of ML in a cargo trailer.....

Those are the ones I was thinking of. What is puzzling is that the empty 12 guage shells are not scorched at all. Makes me wonder if they were loaded with Pyrodex or some other synthetic black powder. I am assuming that when the guns were shot even in the distance that there would have been smoke, otherwise rig up the guns like that. I do think there is a lot more effort to use replica guns which are relatively appropriate to the period and location being portrayed in the various movies. At the same time I continue to wonder why that stack of buffalo skulls was included because I think that was far more appropriate to the period shortly after the buffalo were wiped out and their bones were collected for fertilizer. Even then I suspect stacks like that only existed next to the railways prior to shipping

cheers mooncoon
 
I never seen the movie yet but the TV short where leo burrys himself or the bear burys him reminded me of a old movie ( Man in the wilderness) where the main actor buried himself in leaves after a black bear attack.
I hope the whole movie is not a modern remake of that old movie. Has that look to it. the movie im talking about was made in the 1970s so alot wont have seen it.
The original was a very well made movie which I liked but im hopeing this is not a remake but something new. not sure on the flintlocks used.

From what I understand, that is the case.
 
I hope the whole movie is not a modern remake of that old movie. Has that look to it. the movie im talking about was made in the 1970s so alot wont have seen it.
The original was a very well made movie which I liked but im hopeing this is not a remake but something new. not sure on the flintlocks used.

This one bears little resemblance to the real story that it is based on, sort of. It is not bad as far as the scenery and guns go in terms of generic frontier movies. Relative to the real story, it starts with a trapping party working from a river boat on the Missouri River but my impression is that Glass and two others were actually out hunting for food for the expedition. It started at the north end of South Dakota and ended at the south border of South Dakota in August / September of 1823 and lasted 1 1/2 months. The movie was filmed near Canmore and begins with some pretty soggy and swampy evergreen forest (instead of grassland) with lots of rain then goes to winter and lots of snow in the mountains instead of probably pretty flat land. At one point Glass escapes from the pursuing natives by swimming in icy water for quite some distance down river, where in real life he would have been dead or at least paralysed from the cold water. In real life it was much earlier in the year and he escaped downriver on a raft and was taken in by Peigan Indians and nursed back to health. The last third of the movie, the geography looked about right although the heroic end was again in snow and high mountains. Overall not bad within the context of frontier drama as long as you remember it has little to do with the real Hugh Glass.

cheers mooncoon
 
Those are the ones I was thinking of. What is puzzling is that the empty 12 guage shells are not scorched at all. Makes me wonder if they were loaded with Pyrodex or some other synthetic black powder. I am assuming that when the guns were shot even in the distance that there would have been smoke, otherwise rig up the guns like that. I do think there is a lot more effort to use replica guns which are relatively appropriate to the period and location being portrayed in the various movies. At the same time I continue to wonder why that stack of buffalo skulls was included because I think that was far more appropriate to the period shortly after the buffalo were wiped out and their bones were collected for fertilizer. Even then I suspect stacks like that only existed next to the railways prior to shipping

cheers mooncoon

Those empty 12ga shell were from shotgun which was used for off camera cues to start shooting I believe.
 
Hollywood is full of historical inaccuracies. In Patriot the main character played by Mel Gibson uses a very slender 'kentucky' rifle. I don't think they were around in this final mountain long rifle format during the 1770s.
In actual fact, these evolutions of long flintlock rifles from Appalachia, (with their roots in the European Jaeger)evolved to their true form very late into the game. Just about when caplock rifles caught on in the New World. (1830s-50s)

Leonardo DiCapria seems to have one of these very late flintlock rifles too. I would be very very surprised if this was a historically accurate piece.
 
Hollywood is full of historical inaccuracies. In Patriot the main character played by Mel Gibson uses a very slender 'kentucky' rifle. I don't think they were around in this final mountain long rifle format during the 1770s.
In actual fact, these evolutions of long flintlock rifles from Appalachia, (with their roots in the European Jaeger)evolved to their true form very late into the game. Just about when caplock rifles caught on in the New World. (1830s-50s)

Leonardo DiCapria seems to have one of these very late flintlock rifles too. I would be very very surprised if this was a historically accurate piece.

Afraid you are incorrect there. The longrifle evolved from the European Jaeger. This makes sense since many of the early gunsmiths were immigrants of Germanic descent and training. There are original examples of longrifles dated as early as the 1760s and probably earlier. The Appalachian longrifles are a somewhat later sub group and have general charasteristics that distinguish them from those made in the area around Virginia, Pennsylvania and the Carolina Piedmont. That latter group are the rifles generally referred to as Pennsylvania or (incorrectly) Kentucky longrifles although there were, in reality, very distinct regional differences. The later rifles, those of the late flint and percussion periods or roughly post 1800, tend to be of slimmer construction than those of earlier manufacture - especially in the area of the butt.
 
Back
Top Bottom