the effects of pyrodex in the body

Brooker1

CGN Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few months ago I was messing around with pyrodex and had a small accident resulting is burns and pyrodex getting imbedded in my hand I picked all of it out a few days later. I was wondering lately what are the effects of pyrodex in the human body.

and yes I now know how stupid it was to play with pyrodex and fire
 
I don't think you are in danger of your hand falling off or anything like that - sometimes exposure in this type of situation will cause you to develop an intolerance to it in the future (skin reactions, rashes etc - same thing happens to some with prolonged exposure to epoxy as an example).

Pyrodex is just a concoction of Charcoal (8%), Sulfur (8%), Potassium Nitrate (30% aka Salt Peter which has been used as a food preservative in the past), Potassium Perchlorate (30% - an oxidizer but also used medically in thyroid medicine) and Graphite (about 1%) - plus some "proprietary stuff".

According to Hodgdon's MSDS sheets on the stuff, unless you try eating most of a bottle of the stuff, you should be OK :)
 
You're a dead man walking, Brooker: I give you no more than 90 more years to live, probably less than that. ;)

If you picked out the residues out of your skin, I can't see much of a problem... most of it should be carbon. If you missed any, it'll be a bit like having a black dot tattoed on the hand. This said, if you're really worries, see a dermatologist, not a CGNutter. :)
 
according to Canadian medical Association, ppl who experience something like this will most likely die in about 60 years. Sorry for the bad news.
 
It's all laughs and giggles and then you drink the tea!
220px-AlexanderLitvinenkoHospital.jpg
I'm sure you'll fair better. :p
 
Pyrodex is just a concoction of Charcoal (8%), Sulfur (8%), Potassium Nitrate (30% aka Salt Peter which has been used as a food preservative in the past), Potassium Perchlorate (30% - an oxidizer but also used medically in thyroid medicine) and Graphite (about 1%) - plus some "proprietary stuff".
Sounds like it might be good for you!
 
You might get really sick, who knows, maybe become mentally unstable. You should ship all your firearms to me right now for safe keeping........

No, don't thank me, i'd do it for any nut!
 
You are entering unknown territory. You are the sacrificial lamb for all mankind. If you start turning green, sprouting extra appendages, become unstable, become super smart or get an increased ### drive, we will all then know the potential effects!Laugh2
 
Reminds me of when we lost access to "Masters Metallic Compound" thread sealant when the company safety-Nazis learned it had lead in it. I asked if they thought we were eating it. We had been using it since day one and no one had yet exhibited the signs of lead poisoning. It was replaced by a new compound that did not seal threads and gas leaks were reported all over the place.

Similarly the asbestos tape we used to plug small holes in gas mains under a weld disc. We'd make a wet ball of it and it compressed under the weld disc, sealing off the 60 psi gas for an oxy-acetylene weld. We got a new inert tape that didn't work and small corrosion holes became larger holes, requiring other methods.
 
Back
Top Bottom