Got to love new projects :) ( Gewehr 71)

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Got a new project and thought I would share it with you guys!

Picked up a Gew71 found in a barn. Time hasn't been terribly friendly to it, but overall it's not too beat up. It's missing the bolt, which is a problem, but once that's fixed it looks like it might make an ok shooter!

Anyways, she's not much, but should be fun to work!


Since the images keep crashing here's a direct link to the album:
http://imgur.com/a/quc77
http://imgur.com/a/quc77



sMxN2PD.jpg



They sure love their proof marks eh? I don't think I've ever seen this many in a row.... any idea why?

2IDHQNK.jpg



ku6CvxO.jpg



jsbm7sE.jpg


Long gone stamping

YcA8aCZ.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think it was cut down based on the muzzle and the trigger guard, but frankly I don't know a ton about them :p


There's a very faint mark to the left of the main marking there. Kind of looks like a K but I'm not sure?


EB5kt8U.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think it was cut down based on the muzzle and the trigger guard, but frankly I don't know a ton about them :p


There's a very faint mark to the left of the main marking there. Kind of looks like a K but I'm not sure?

I think the letter is the remains of Gothic J found on the Jager (looks more like a B). The K found on the 71 Carbine is looks similar though.

The trigger guard is correct for a Jager.

Original barrel is about 29.5" on a Jager and about 20" on a Carbine.
 
Last edited:
I see no pictures either, just a little box with a X in it.

Same here.I have increasing amount of those on this and other forums as well(outside CGN).I wonder why.

I have seen few Gew 71s-great rifles and if possible worth rebuilding.From that age everything is worth bringing back.Great rifles.
 
Tried to fix them - please let me know if they're working or not - I'll get on measuring the barrel tomorrow to tell. I really suspect the barrel has been shortened at least a tiny bit as it's not even or crowned.

Bore and chamber are ok - I haven't had a chance to clean; the rifling is continuous and strong, but dark and dirty, so I suspect roughness but no terrible pitting like sometimes happens. Chamber seems similar. With some elbow grease should come out as shootable.

If anyone has a line on possible sources for a bolt, that's my big issue with this gun - seeing as I've only ever seen another in relic condition I'm a bit at a loss for parts :p


I think with the links crashing it's related to imgur being unable to handle the load on their servers - over the last two weeks I've been noticing a lot of outages and problems with uploading and the like. Also I repasted the links and a couple were different from before, so I suspect they're victims of their own success and can't keep up with demand.


Since the images keep crashing here's a direct link to the album:
http://imgur.com/a/quc77
http://imgur.com/a/quc77
 
Tried to fix them - please let me know if they're working or not - I'll get on measuring the barrel tomorrow to tell. I really suspect the barrel has been shortened at least a tiny bit as it's not even or crowned.

Bore and chamber are ok - I haven't had a chance to clean; the rifling is continuous and strong, but dark and dirty, so I suspect roughness but no terrible pitting like sometimes happens. Chamber seems similar. With some elbow grease should come out as shootable.

If anyone has a line on possible sources for a bolt, that's my big issue with this gun - seeing as I've only ever seen another in relic condition I'm a bit at a loss for parts :p


I think with the links crashing it's related to imgur being unable to handle the load on their servers - over the last two weeks I've been noticing a lot of outages and problems with uploading and the like. Also I repasted the links and a couple were different from before, so I suspect they're victims of their own success and can't keep up with demand.


Since the images keep crashing here's a direct link to the album:
http://imgur.com/a/quc77
http://imgur.com/a/quc77
I can't say for certain if the bolts are the same, as I don't have a 71/84 in front of me as I write this, but you may want to try Joe Salter-Down East Trading as he lists parts for the 71/84 Mauser rifles. Might just have what you need for a bolt or possibly other common parts to help you out.
 
Back
Top Bottom