Is Smith and Wesson .455 antique?

I'd have to say nope, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
Lots of S & W are antique, but I'm unaware of any S & W 455 Webleys made prior to WW1.
Google foo that sucker IMO
 
I did a bit of searching. Lots of info for S&W making handguns up to 1915 but little to say if any were made earlier or prior to 1898 to meet Antique status. Antique firearms are not really my thing or knowledge
 
With such a bare description it is impossible to tell you what you have.

It may be a S&W 1st model, triple lock issued to Canada Model 1907 I believe or it may be one of the later British model 1914 modes which were identical other than missing ejector rod covers. Canada purchased the 2nd model as well. Often they are just referred to as 1st/2nd/3rd/4th model hand ejectors depending on cartridge and lock arrangements.

S&W revolvers cover a huge range and were often copied identically and included similar markings. Usually by Belgian and Spanish makers but over the last 50 years, mostly in Brazil who markets them under the Taurus moniker.

Anyway if you have one of the double action, tip out crane/cylinder, early hand ejector large frame .455 chambered S&Ws it will have been made after 1897 and not considered to be or subject to antique status regulations.

If it is in decent shape it could be quite valuable and desirable to WWI/WWII collectors.
 
Is Smith and Wesson .455 Webley antique? Is there a date on those to know if they are antique?

If it's a top break, the answer is "yes" as all of the top break frames were manufactured before 1898.

If it's a "modern" side opening revolver the answer is "no" as they are all manufactured after 1908.
 
Thanks for the info guys. It doesn't belong to me and I've only seen pictures of it. The question came up when 2 of 3 .455 Webleys were antique and the third one was not, yet there is no actual dates on any of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom