I Need help finding a flint for flintlock pistol

rigrat

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Location
Alberta
Hi, I Need help finding a flint for flintlock pistol. Probably 5/8" wide Anyone knowing a source I would appreciate hearing. Thx Trav.
 
I would try a local gun shop or try www,track of the wolf.com, FLINT-CUT-P . . . $2.49 US I have ordered lots of things from them over the years. Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Attending Mountain Man traders rendezvous in Monroe, Wash this weekend and can always buy some there from a reliable source. They are usually priced at 2.50 US and could pick up some for you if you like and then mail them up to you. Will be on computer for next 3 hrs then gone. If you like my cell is 250 729 1718. Cheers, Bill
 
No one here has mentioned it yet but if you are getting the flint for anything more than to complete a wall hanger you will want to buy a few of them.

They don't last all that long. I find that depending on the gun and the way the frizzen is sprung and how the cam on the foot is shaped that I can get from as little as 8 to 10 shots up to around 20 shots before the edge needs to be chipped with a knapping hammer to restore the sparking. And the flints generally only allow for a couple of such dressings before they are too short and deformed to work all that well. So you really want to buy at LEAST a half dozen if you'll be shooting it even casually over the next few years.
 
No one here has mentioned it yet but if you are getting the flint for anything more than to complete a wall hanger you will want to buy a few of them.

They don't last all that long. I find that depending on the gun and the way the frizzen is sprung and how the cam on the foot is shaped that I can get from as little as 8 to 10 shots up to around 20 shots before the edge needs to be chipped with a knapping hammer to restore the sparking. And the flints generally only allow for a couple of such dressings before they are too short and deformed to work all that well. So you really want to buy at LEAST a half dozen if you'll be shooting it even casually over the next few years.

Just a suggestion that works very well for me. I use a course diamond plate and water to dress and restore the sharp edge of my flints when they stop generating a good spark. I find it doesn't remove as much material as knapping and I get a lot longer life out of each fliint. It also produces a much more uniform edge than knapping. JMHO
 
Just a suggestion that works very well for me. I use a course diamond plate and water to dress and restore the sharp edge of my flints when they stop generating a good spark. I find it doesn't remove as much material as knapping and I get a lot longer life out of each fliint. It also produces a much more uniform edge than knapping. JMHO

I've been looking for a couple of extra excuses to get a diamond plate or two for my woodworking sharpening duties. This idea of yours might just tip me over the edge.. THANKS!

I see the plate as a way to fix up the flints back at home and not so much while out on a trail shoot. But perhaps a small diamond file or the pocket sharpener? I'll have to look at that
 
Dig around the web and you can come up with HillFolk's phone number. They are in Sk., no website that I know of. IIRC the lady you want to talk to is Becky.

They deal in BP and Buckskinner type supplies and usually have some stock.

Cheers
Trev
 
I've been looking for a couple of extra excuses to get a diamond plate or two for my woodworking sharpening duties. This idea of yours might just tip me over the edge.. THANKS!

I see the plate as a way to fix up the flints back at home and not so much while out on a trail shoot. But perhaps a small diamond file or the pocket sharpener? I'll have to look at that

You are welcome! Yes, it is a home thing, but I always carry a bunch of sharp flints with me in my possibles bag. I never thought of using a small diamond hone for field dressing.I might just give it a try. Cheers!
 
If we end up with diamond hones in our possibles bags we'll need to turn away while dressing the edges and make little tapping sounds with our teeth so the others think we're using a proper knapping hammer.... :d
 
Guys many thanks for the replies and suggestions. For some reason I was not getting notifications on replies so my apologies for not answering . A special thanks to Ol'Flinter who found a couple for me and has helped me in other areas also. Thanks and best regards Trav
 
Guys many thanks for the replies and suggestions. For some reason I was not getting notifications on replies so my apologies for not answering . A special thanks to Ol'Flinter who found a couple for me and has helped me in other areas also. Thanks and best regards Trav

Good on you Doug. Rigrat - did you contact Dan?
 
I have ordered from Track of the wolf in the past with no problems. However a major item to consider is the current exchange rate and shipping ($2.60 each + $13 priority shipping in Canadian funds). One other Canadian source not previously mentioned is Loyalist Arms, which is the cheapest price I have been able to find at $1.55 each. You can get them cheaper (wholesale prices) if you purchase 200 or more. Though it is not English flint, it is American Chert - which some say lasts longer and holds its edge better. More details here: http://www.loyalistarms.ca/miscellaneousitems.html

Hope that helps
cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom