Help identifying my Great-Great-Grandfather's rifle

Big_Bear

Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
Southern QC
I found this picture of my Great-Great-Grandfather with his sons - one of whom would be my Great Grandfather (some distant relative thought it would be a good idea to circle him). There's a real sense of fun about this picture, with their pipes and whiskey out front of the log cabin. I have a feeling the whole thing is staged so I'm not even sure if the gun the old man is holding was even his. It looks like it might be a .22 but I can't tell. The picture isn't all that clear so it's hard to tell what it is.

Anyone have any guesses?

Bonus points if you can tell me what hand the guy in front is holding.

Thanks!Great great grandfather.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Great great grandfather.jpg
    Great great grandfather.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 760
OK, I spoke to my father and his guess is the picture was taken around 1910 somewhere in the Gatineau River Valley near Ottawa.

I'll look into the Ballard rifle. Thanks for the feedback.
 
No idea on the rifle but it is a great picture!
I like how the guy on the right is showing his cards to the photographer!
I would think about scanning the photo and then once digitized you can get the pen circle mark removed.
 
The receiver/frame and barrel positioning in relation to the trigger look like a Remington No.6 Rimfire to me - except that I think I see a fancy lever extending off the trigger guard. If that's the case, I'd go with a Ballard rimfire.

If my eyes are right 'bout the fancy lever then it could also be a Stevens, but not a Favorite.
 
The angle and general kink in the shape of the receiver does point to it being a rolling or pivoting block. And the previously suggested tip up also has this pretty clear sort of kink in the shape between the action and the shoulder stock. But as to brand or model? Too many had the same general shape to nail it down more firmly. And I'm not seeing enough detail around the trigger guard to tell if it has a serpentine lever or a fixed guard.

From the size of the hand around it the one thing we can all agree on is that it's one of the smaller rimfire guns that were popular at the time.
 
Great pic! Any chance of a high-res scan (>1200 dpi) , esp. of the rifle? Might be possible to enhance it and get a better idea of what it might be. (And maybe tell what hand the guy on the right is holding.) The pipes look lilke Petersons (founded in Dublin in 1865) from the shape of the ferrules, but it's hard to tell.

:)
 
Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm seeing the resemblance to the Stevens Favorite there. Glad you guys are getting a kick out of the picture. I'll try to get a high rez scan to bring out some more detail of the rifle and the cards - and the pipes :)
 
Definitely high res scan the original photo.
The scan on a good quality monitor, enlarged will bring out great details.
Did same with a familly photo a few years back with suprising results.
Cheers
Jaguar
 
Back
Top Bottom