Yesterday I picked up an "antique" Westley Richards RIC #1 revolver in Kamloops. It is tight and all mechanical movements are positive and crisp. It retains about 25% of its original finish but has very little handling wear or internal wear. The bore is excellent as are the cylinders.
I have never been successful posting pics so I won't even try. I have accepted the fact that I am computer challenged and at my age life is to short to sweat the small stuff.
Ok, the revolver is chambered in one of the 450 cartridges available at the time. Both the 450 Adams round and the 455 Webly rounds chamber.
The pistol is unique if for nothing else its condition. After a few hours of stripping and cleaning the only stamps visible are on the top of the hex barrel flat "Westley Richards & Co" and a proof mark on the flute of each chamber at the breach end. The proof mark is one that was used starting in 1856. Other than the serial number 8D4213 there are no other markings.
This serial number dates back to 1853 according to the Westley Richards site. This is an impossible manufacturing date. Westley Richards did not start producing RIC #1 revolvers until sometime in 1867. From the pics I have seen the WR RIC #1 revolvers were slightly different, such as no streamlining of the bottom of the frame but not much else. The revolver is built on the "early pattern" frame with a hex barrel which is correct for the early model.
The other thing about this revolver is that it has a fluted cylinder. Most of the early pistols had cylinders without flutes. I am presuming this pistol was a commercial product rather than one made for the military. My presumption is based on the lack of markings and condition. Not even a chambering mark.
I need to find a site that has more information on these lovely revolvers. So far after a few hours of searching not much seems to be out there. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
If anyone specializes in these pistols I would really appreciate some input.
By the way, I haven't been able to ascertain whether or not Westley Richards made just enough changes in this revolver to evade patent infringements or they built the pistols under license. There is also he chance that the pistol was built somewhere else other than Liverpool and was never in England at all and why there are no other proofs or markings and was built as a clone. The only thing that makes me doubt this is that the quality of this pistol is high end inside and out. The only tool marks visible are almost indiscernible file marks that are only visible under 30X magnification from hand fitting.
I have never been successful posting pics so I won't even try. I have accepted the fact that I am computer challenged and at my age life is to short to sweat the small stuff.
Ok, the revolver is chambered in one of the 450 cartridges available at the time. Both the 450 Adams round and the 455 Webly rounds chamber.
The pistol is unique if for nothing else its condition. After a few hours of stripping and cleaning the only stamps visible are on the top of the hex barrel flat "Westley Richards & Co" and a proof mark on the flute of each chamber at the breach end. The proof mark is one that was used starting in 1856. Other than the serial number 8D4213 there are no other markings.
This serial number dates back to 1853 according to the Westley Richards site. This is an impossible manufacturing date. Westley Richards did not start producing RIC #1 revolvers until sometime in 1867. From the pics I have seen the WR RIC #1 revolvers were slightly different, such as no streamlining of the bottom of the frame but not much else. The revolver is built on the "early pattern" frame with a hex barrel which is correct for the early model.
The other thing about this revolver is that it has a fluted cylinder. Most of the early pistols had cylinders without flutes. I am presuming this pistol was a commercial product rather than one made for the military. My presumption is based on the lack of markings and condition. Not even a chambering mark.
I need to find a site that has more information on these lovely revolvers. So far after a few hours of searching not much seems to be out there. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
If anyone specializes in these pistols I would really appreciate some input.
By the way, I haven't been able to ascertain whether or not Westley Richards made just enough changes in this revolver to evade patent infringements or they built the pistols under license. There is also he chance that the pistol was built somewhere else other than Liverpool and was never in England at all and why there are no other proofs or markings and was built as a clone. The only thing that makes me doubt this is that the quality of this pistol is high end inside and out. The only tool marks visible are almost indiscernible file marks that are only visible under 30X magnification from hand fitting.


















































