Isn't Agate like a glass? It would be terrible for a fire starter or even in something like a flintlock I would think.
Throws sparks off a fire steel. it's just a form of translucent banded chalcedony, no?
Last edited:
Isn't Agate like a glass? It would be terrible for a fire starter or even in something like a flintlock I would think.
Throws sparks off a fire steel. it's just a form of translucent banded chalcedony, no?
Pretty much
Very little difference between flint, chert, jasper and agate. Mostly, they are primarily silica, with varying amounts of minor impurities
Hi everyone, I am looking for a Canadian source of flint (or chert) shards that I can use with a fire steel to make primitive fires. All the sources I have are in the States. Any help finding a domestic selling in Canada would be appreciated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunflint_chert
Lol, it's literally called the Gunflint Formation... I believe it can be found near Manitoulin Island, but checking out the OGS map websites would help lock down locations.



























