Snider question

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
I am thinking of buying a Snider Enfield this year and planning of using it as a shooter. Would I be better off with a MkIII or is the MKII** just as good of a shooter? I will be only shooting BP Cartridge through this gun FYI.
 
In my experience either Mark works just as good for shooting. What really matters is the bore. Sniders have shallow rifling and pitting and or wear effect accuracy even more than on other guns it seems. So if you want a shooter get the absolutely best bore you can get. These guns are not the easiest to get shooting accurately.
 
Good to know, I am not expecting Lee Enfield accuracy out of it :) I was mostly worried about ware on the action. I also hear round ball or very short bullets work best.
 
I am no expert on the subject, but I think the Mk III is much more desirable as a shooter. The breech block on a MkIII locks in place and the breech block on the Mk II is only held in place by a spring detent. Also, as I recall, the Mk III has a steel bbl while the bbl on the MkII is (I believe) iron - as found on the earlier muzzle loading enfield.
Bbl condition is, of course, always important.
 
The lack of latch on the MKii** worried me until I realized I will not be shooting up side down or slinging it loaded. I'm guessing a Exc. cond. Mkii** beats a good cond. Mkiii?
 
I have the Mk II**. It has an uncut barrel but had the stock cut years ago. Mine has some minor pitting near the muzzle. Short conical bullets scatter. .60 cal swaged roundballs group well at 50 yards.
 
I am no expert on the subject, but I think the Mk III is much more desirable as a shooter. The breech block on a MkIII locks in place and the breech block on the Mk II is only held in place by a spring detent. Also, as I recall, the Mk III has a steel bbl while the bbl on the MkII is (I believe) iron - as found on the earlier muzzle loading enfield.
Bbl condition is, of course, always important.

Had a couple Sniders. A latch to hold the breech block closed is the solution to a non-existent problem IMO
 
I own and shoot plenty of Sniders.

14 and counting of all MK's.

They are one of my passions.

Years ago, I used to shoot with the Ontario Rifle Association and pushed these babies out as far as I could.

I have always found that the MK II**'s to be the most accurate and that the Short Model - 2 band was the top of the heap for accuracy due to it's superior rifling. (1x48 twist)

I read one time that it had something to do with the harmonics of the iron barrels over steel.

There is a Snider Facebook group that I formed a year or so ago if anyone is interested with enthusiasts from around the world.

ht tps://www.facebook.com/groups/707539612638515/

Sounds good.
 
The advantage of the Mk III "shoe" is that in the event of a case rupture the gas won't be able to blow the block open. This did happen, on occasion, with the early Mk I ammunition. I don't know how real an issue it is today with the various approaches to shooting the guns that individuals are using. The 24g brass I am using doesn't appear at all stressed by use (I only load with 70grn FFg) and it comes out with virtually no powder residue on the exterior of the case. My current shooter is an excellent 3 band Mk III but I am looking for a short rifle and may go the Mk II** route.

milsurpo
 
Back
Top Bottom