Reloading .577 Snider......

No way for me to tell if it is tapered for sure by slugging. I can say the resistance felt the same from muzzle to breech, but it is what it is , and I have to live with that and be happy .

If it were tapered by .001 or even a hair less you would find the drag of the slug to be very noticeably lighter at the breech compared to the muzzle where the slug was formed. It takes hardly anything at all for a taper to make a big difference to the drag of a formed fit of this sort. So you can honestly say that your bore is parallel.
 
So you can honestly say that your bore is parallel.[/QUOTE]

Yes but the grooves are tapered, deeper at the breech than the muzzle.
 
Yes like every other rifled arm.

I don't think that is true for North America; classic example would be a 308 or a 357 magnum; both are the diameter to the bottom of the grooves. Many or most european guns are measured to the tops of the lands. Many british guns, unless I am mistaken, have an odd number of grooves and lands. I made myself a series of plug guages to get around that. Only drawback is that you have to make an estimate of how deep the rifling is, in order to calculate the bullet diameter

cheers mooncoon
 
My next try is shooting round balls. I was having problems getting consistent results in the loading process but this last batch turned out very good. As this is a Canadian forum most of you will not be surprised that we are tough enough to run our balls through a re-sizer,,,, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVG9IZT6MtI

Neither one of my guns liked the round balls. Like shooting a shotgun one pellet at a time. :(

Much better success with my sized bullets,,,,
 
Where did you get that new sight?

Made it up myself. The body is the sight protector from a #4 enfield. The post is machined from a 1/4" woodriff key. It clamps tight around the barrel with the one 5-40 cap screw. Besides bringing the POI and the POA together it has the added advantage that it can be canted to adjust for windage.
 
I don't think that is true for North America; classic example would be a 308 or a 357 magnum; both are the diameter to the bottom of the grooves.

There are US ctgs designated 218, 219, 220, 221 ,222, 223, 224 and 225 which all have a bore size of .219". A ctg designation does not necessarily mean bore or groove size.
 
The X-Ring mold casting a .600 bullet, loaded into a fire formed case has been my most accurate Snider load. The bullets are hand seated, the pan dipped lube keeps them in place. Powder filler and card wad to separate the bullet from the media. "Use black powder only" I prefer FFF for the Snider. Regards, WRXS
 
Back
Top Bottom