Lubed wads in Canada

mmcintyre1220

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Well I bought my first cap and ball revolver a few weeks ago (pietta 1851 navy 44). I love the thing and am becoming addicted to BP shooting. I am having trouble finding lubed felt wads in Canada tho. I bought a couple hundred at cabelas stateside a bit ago but can't find much in Canada.

Where is everyone buying them from? Any help would be great. Also are there any good stores that carry a good selection of blackpowder shooting accessories?

Thanks for the help
 
make your owe

all you need is;
-.454 hole punch "trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/239/1/WAD-PUNCH-45" You want a 45cal punch/wad
-sheets of felt "durofelt.com/image_26.html"
-bees wax "Micheals craft store sells it buy the lbs"
-Crisco or olive oil depending on the recipe

Youtube the how too and save hundreds of dollars :)

FYI Rustywood.ca has lots of BP stuff and is a site sponsor.
 
make your own...

I also recently bought a C&B revolver and am really looking forward to try it out... Quick question if I may. When using greased felt wads, do you still grease the front of the cylinder to prevent "chain fire", or does the wads take care of that? Thanks in advance for the feedback!
 
I also recently bought a C&B revolver and am really looking forward to try it out... Quick question if I may. When using greased felt wads, do you still grease the front of the cylinder to prevent "chain fire", or does the wads take care of that? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

It's usually one or the other but it's not going to hurt to do both.

Many chain fires have been blamed on the flash from the nipple igniting other cylinders whose caps have fallen off. Use the correct size and pinch them a little if they are still loose.
 
make your owe

all you need is;
-.454 hole punch "trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/239/1/WAD-PUNCH-45" You want a 45cal punch/wad
-sheets of felt "durofelt.com/image_26.html"
-bees wax "Micheals craft store sells it buy the lbs"
-Crisco or olive oil depending on the recipe

Youtube the how too and save hundreds of dollars :)

FYI Rustywood.ca has lots of BP stuff and is a site sponsor.

Thanks man! I thought about making my own but had a hard time finding felt locally. I will check out the local Michael's stores and see if they have it.
 
I also recently bought a C&B revolver and am really looking forward to try it out... Quick question if I may. When using greased felt wads, do you still grease the front of the cylinder to prevent "chain fire", or does the wads take care of that? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I do not believe chainfires happen from the face of the cylinder. If you have a properly oversized ball and your cylinder is to the correct diameter, no way no how is a spark getting around the lead ball. To test this theory I loaded all 6 up, pulled the nipples to drain the powder and put a light inside to see if it made it past the ball.... It did not. I believe it's from the nipple/cap fit. I use #11 on my pietta as the #10 are way too tight. I give the #11 a slight pinch as suggested and have had no issues what so ever. 300 rounds in and I'm fine.
 
I also recently bought a C&B revolver and am really looking forward to try it out... Quick question if I may. When using greased felt wads, do you still grease the front of the cylinder to prevent "chain fire", or does the wads take care of that? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

NO if you're using greased felt wads.

You soak the pad in the hot bee's wax/criso mix, than cut out the wads after it cools. The grease will be impregnated in the felt and no other grease is needed.
 
I do not believe chainfires happen from the face of the cylinder. If you have a properly oversized ball and your cylinder is to the correct diameter, no way no how is a spark getting around the lead ball. To test this theory I loaded all 6 up, pulled the nipples to drain the powder and put a light inside to see if it made it past the ball.... It did not. I believe it's from the nipple/cap fit. I use #11 on my pietta as the #10 are way too tight. I give the #11 a slight pinch as suggested and have had no issues what so ever. 300 rounds in and I'm fine.

it's not the sparks, it's the supersonic high pressure hot gasses.
 
Just get a 7/16 hollow punch and some cork. I use those cork things you put under chairs from walmart. 50 cents for a box of 50, put in a container with a bit of BP cleaner and shake or at Cdn. tire some sheets of gasket cork and punch 'em out. Just buy powder and caps, casting RB and making wads saves big time.
 
I do not believe chainfires happen from the face of the cylinder. If you have a properly oversized ball and your cylinder is to the correct diameter, no way no how is a spark getting around the lead ball. To test this theory I loaded all 6 up, pulled the nipples to drain the powder and put a light inside to see if it made it past the ball.... It did not. I believe it's from the nipple/cap fit. I use #11 on my pietta as the #10 are way too tight. I give the #11 a slight pinch as suggested and have had no issues what so ever. 300 rounds in and I'm fine.

I have to agree. Grease on the cylinder just blows everywhere causing spelt powder to stick in the last place you want it to. Even shooting with no grease is not such a bad thing with a .454 ball. It won't hurt the gun, just give the barrel a wipe with bore cleaner now and then.
 
Just get a 7/16 hollow punch and some cork. I use those cork things you put under chairs from walmart. 50 cents for a box of 50, put in a container with a bit of BP cleaner and shake or at Cdn. tire some sheets of gasket cork and punch 'em out. Just buy powder and caps, casting RB and making wads saves big time.

I don't know how thick or porous those corks are but I just bought a sheet of cork gasket material at Crappy Tire for bp cartridge shells. And now I have a second use for them.

Good tip.
 
lubed wads

Well I bought my first cap and ball revolver a few weeks ago (pietta 1851 navy 44). I love the thing and am becoming addicted to BP shooting. I am having trouble finding lubed felt wads in Canada tho. I bought a couple hundred at cabelas stateside a bit ago but can't find much in Canada.

Where is everyone buying them from? Any help would be great. Also are there any good stores that carry a good selection of blackpowder shooting accessories?

Thanks for the help



Shooters Choice in Waterloo or Gobles in London has this stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom