Poor ignition in .54 CVA Hawken rifle

That's too bad - well, now you have a better idea of what ya want anyway.

T/C, Lyman, Pedersoli - or build your own. It's too bad the dollar is down, but if you don't mind the Loonie surcharge, blackpowder frontstuffers and parts come across the border no problem at all.
 
I really like the looks of those Lyman rifles... I think that's what I'm going to go for. God knows I spent enough time over a 10 pound Lee pot making .54" balls... I better find something to send them flying through the air!
 
I built my Lyman GPR (.54 of course) from a kit in 1991 or '92, have used it steadily since, many thousands through it now without anything breaking (well besides ramrods! - I made a range rod never looked back) - GREAT rifles. I personally (albeit am a bit biased) think they have nicer lines than the T/C or others. But as they say, the eye is in the beholder :)
 
I think as a rule of thumb, stick to guns with a snail to hold the nipple, if you are buying a commercially made gun. In the case of flintlocks, drop a 1/4" rod down the barrel, mark the rod and see how far it extends on the outside of the gun. For a gun with a recessed breach plug, the rod should reach to the vent hole. If the gun has a drum screwed almost all the way through the barrel, the rod will stop about 1/8" short of the vent

cheers mooncoon
 
I had a CVA Hawken with what seems like the exact symptoms you described. Played and played with it, no joy. Finally concluded it needed a new mainspring which I got from Deer Creek Products. Installed, took it out and worked fine throughout that session. However I then parted with it and can't report whether it has continued to work.

Understand yours hadn't been used an awful lot and I don't know how much the previous owner had shot mine. He was a re-enactor so asume it was shot a fair bit.
 
Own a Lyman GPH in .54 cal, flintlock use nothing but black, have a traditions Hawken in 50 cal,flintlock use nothing but black...try 3f it should go boom. Keep the grains low maybe will clean out some junk in the nipple
 
This is a classic CVA problem with their bizarre drum setup. The drum screws in, right through the barrel and only stop when it hits the other side of the bore wall. They then drill a hole through the front of this drum so it points up the barrel so powder can hopefully go into the hole, filling the drum and barrel with powder. Doesn't happen well. You drop powder down the barrel, and if you're lucky a bit goes into the drum hole. Your cap then goes bang, flame makes a 90 degree left turn into the drum, then makes another 90 degree turn out the hole into the barrel. Misfires and hang fires. Mine is driving me nuts, but I'm going to have that hole in the drum enlarged big time. I'm also putting in my powder and smacking the side of the barrel so help get some into the damn drum hole. Read this thread, the guy REALLY knows CVA's and their setup.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7077632/all/Ignition_Issues
 
Try removing the nipple, put the breech end into a pail of very warm water with dish detergent, pour some water down the barrel and let soak. Use a tight fitting patch to pump the water through the breech and up the barrel. You won't believe the crud that comes out.
 
This is good info for sure, I am just starting in the Muzzle loaders, I have a Remington Genesis, it's new but was sitting around milarms shop for a while I guess so got a good price on it! I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pedersoli, Denalli that Marstar has on for $399.99, they have been on for a while and I can't get much info, such as accuracy cleaning/ fouling problems such as this and quality? Not trying to sideline the OP but in the same context!
Cheers Bob
Also, would you all suggest welding tip cleaners as a possible way to root out the carbon?
 
This won't affect your remington, it's a modern inline ignition system using a shotgun primer. We're talking about the old style muzzleloaders that have their igniton on the side of the barrel. :)

This is good info for sure, I am just starting in the Muzzle loaders, I have a Remington Genesis, it's new but was sitting around milarms shop for a while I guess so got a good price on it! I was wondering if anyone has tried the Pedersoli, Denalli that Marstar has on for $399.99, they have been on for a while and I can't get much info, such as accuracy cleaning/ fouling problems such as this and quality? Not trying to sideline the OP but in the same context!
Cheers Bob
Also, would you all suggest welding tip cleaners as a possible way to root out the carbon?
 
This won't affect your remington, it's a modern inline ignition system using a shotgun primer. We're talking about the old style muzzleloaders that have their igniton on the side of the barrel. :)
Okey dokey, yea that makes sense, thanks, can't wait to get out and shoot this rig!
 
Back
Top Bottom