pair of 12ga Damascus Barrels

FishHog

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
cleaning out my dads shop. Came across a set of 12gauge Damascus barrels -muzzle loading . Can't read the maker name. Looks like is might say "David Cass" - London. Not sure if that is London England or London Ontario.
Reasonable shape, 80% of the browning is in place. There is a small bulge about 2" from the muzzle on one side.

My question is, what do I do with them. So I just destroy them or are they worth anything to anyone? I kind of hate to cut them up, but the odds of me building a gun around them is pretty slim. I used to build muzzle loading rifles, but don't see me getting back into that.

FishHog
 
Someone might want to hang them on a wall if the pattern is still visible. Someone might want them to practice refinishing damascus.
You'll likely have to give them away though as I doubt anyone will pay much for them when you figure shipping in.
 
My question is, what do I do with them. So I just destroy them or are they worth anything to anyone? I kind of hate to cut them up, but the odds of me building a gun around them is pretty slim. I used to build muzzle loading rifles, but don't see me getting back into that.

If the bores are not badly pitted and the bulge is not an indicator of a serious problem, they definitely have value and I cannot think of any reason to destroy them. As said above, put them on the EE and include a photo or two. As to price I would be guessing wildly but if they meet the criteria I gave, $50 plus shipping would not be unrealistic

cheers mooncoon
 
Since they are muzzle loading barrels I'd post them on the Black Powder and Antique's part of the EE. Someone out there may have an antique that they would like to get shooting again and bad corrosion of the bore(s) is forcing them to make it a wall hanger.

You said a "set" of barrels. So I take it this is for a side by side?
 
IMG_20160927_065112_zpsbg5oxb7g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160927_065204_zpsqlaou7lw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160927_065140_zpsgeuwauw0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160927_065128_zps3av7qsss.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

last pic you can see the bulge on the top barrel.
 
those barrels don't look too bad. Is that "lump" and bulge or is it a bubble of rust. The other issue is to look down the barrel with a light or better slide a small diameter light down the barrels and check for deep pitting. Light pitting is to be expected and unless recently cleaned, the bores will probably be pretty dark but that is not a problem

cheers mooncoon
 
its a bulge. Looks like a wad stuck and another shot was taken. Although not possible with a muzzleloader. Perhaps mud/snow plugged a barrel once, but definitely a bulge from something. I'll see if I can find a small light to check the bores.
 
Back
Top Bottom