A few inherited old guns, any value?

redlight

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I got this in the correct spot here.

Here are a number of guns that have been inherited, Im just wondering if there are any of substantial value or if I should be treating any of these gun specially.

Lets start with the one bolt rifle I couldn't identify, it has a few markings but nothing that I understand (more guns below pictures).

1 - Bolt rifle, maybe WWI?

16atel1.jpg

bhdoa9.jpg

1zeldz7.jpg

fbdvg1.jpg



Here is a list of the rest with some pics of the guns below if interested.

2 - Cooey model 840 12 GA 2 3/4 & 3 cham.
3 - Acme Arms co side by side 12 GA
4 - C.G. Bonehil 12 GA
5 - United Arms Factory 12 GA
6 - 30-30 Canadian centennial hexagon barrel
7 - Gervarms .222


29urnt1.jpg

14xlyfs.jpg

34ytstl.jpg

161hruh.jpg


If anyone needs more pictures or info just let me know.
 
Your unidentified rifle is a P14. It looks like it has been through the Weedon Standard Repair, which means it had the volley sights removed. This particular example looks to have spent time in New Zealand. It also should be in .303 British. Value wise likely in the 350-550$ area. If you are interested in learning more on them, this site has a decent write up which includes the New Zealand issued P14s (and a example at the bottom).

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/no3/
 
The Winchester 30-30 Canadian Centennial should be worth $800 at least and more if it is in really good shape or has some special features.

Hmmm, There are a lot of them for sale for $800+, but if the OP actually wanted to sell I believe anywhere from $400-$600 is what they are selling for. Winchester made a lot of these Commemorative/ Limited Edition rifles. So many that they flooded the market. An interesting fact is that the price of these guns is actually going down. It's the older guys who watched the 'gunfighter' etc. on T.V. as kids in the 50's, 60's that hold nostalgia for them. For anyone born in the late 60's onward, these guns hold little value aside from a good deer gun. YMMV.
 
Thanks everyone for your input. Nothing will be sold, ill likely just keep most of the guns in a safe and put one of the old shotguns on the wall above the fireplace mantle.

I have a old 70's 30-30 that I deer hunt with, its WAY lighter than that centennial edition, so that will likely just stay in the safe as well.

Thanks again.
 
The Enfield P-14 is a nice rifle, many of them are quite accurate, they served in different capacities in both WW's. The actions are very strong on these rifles.
Denis
 
The Winchester 30-30 Canadian Centennial should be worth $800 at least and more if it is in really good shape or has some special features.

Its hard to tell without a picture of the full gun but the $800.00 quoted earlier is generous. You may get that if its unused on comes with the box and paper work. Winchester made so many of these "centennials and commemoratives" in the 60's and 70's that they are not worth what most people think they are worth. I have seen used ones in very good condition sell for $650.00 or so. Like someone else said, the people that really cared about these rifles are slowly passing away. That means more stock on the market and less people to buy them. These have a 26 inch barrel that makes the heavy to drag around for hunting that makes them less desirable for people that would use them. That said, I've been to gun sales where the "emotions got the best of of people" and I have seen some commemoratives to sell for twice of what the were worth. If you are from the prairies - and wanna get as much I you can out of your guns - I would suggest you talk to an auctioneer and get your guns in the first spring auction.
 
Last edited:
I guess that Canadian Centennial-marked firearms have a somewhat limited interest, especially outside Canada. About ten years or so ago down in Oregon we bought a Ruger 10/22 centennial commemoration model, NIB, for US$50.

It had been in the behind-the-counter stock when the gun-store changed hands. The new owner, knowing my 'Canadian connection', just wanted it out of the way.

Shoots great, BTW.

tac
 
They are not worth that much, and they come from the era when Winchester made the receivers out of sintered metal, which are not at all desirable, due to the fact they don't take traditional blueing.



I sold a Canadian Centennial a couple months ago unfired with box and paperwork for $600.. that's all they are worth.
 
Hmmm, There are a lot of them for sale for $800+, but if the OP actually wanted to sell I believe anywhere from $400-$600 is what they are selling for. Winchester made a lot of these Commemorative/ Limited Edition rifles. So many that they flooded the market. An interesting fact is that the price of these guns is actually going down. It's the older guys who watched the 'gunfighter' etc. on T.V. as kids in the 50's, 60's that hold nostalgia for them. For anyone born in the late 60's onward, these guns hold little value aside from a good deer gun. YMMV.

Agreed. I have 6 of them (3 rifles and 3 carbines), all sequentially numbered. I use one of the carbines for deer and the other 5 are unfired. They are nice to look at and hold but are nothing special. I'd be lucky to get $600 each for mine even with the sequential numbers.
 
I see most of the people replying here are talkin about the rifles so Ill lend some info on the shotguns :p

The ACME is no doubt a wall hanger, not much value, maybe $50 to the right person as a decoration. The Bonehill is actually quite nice. Bonehill was a Birmingham gunmaker and made quite interesting shotguns. They were well known in Birmingham and unlike Webley and Scott or others, Bonehill did not contribute to the trade that much, making sure most of their output was actually branded under their name. What I mean by this is Webley and Scott amoung others sold unfinished actions to makers all around the UK and the individual maker would finish them and brand them.

The Bonehill has what looks like it is a fairly early example, having not only exposed hammers but a round action as well which was a higher dollar gun too (in the bonehill range anyways).

It has either damascus or twist barrels, I can't see the pattern clear enough. Be careful if you want to shoot it. Get it checked out and use black powder only, ONLY if it is safe.

The bonehill is worth about $400 in this condition.
 
Back
Top Bottom