Where does everyone buy their black powder?

NaturalPath

Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Elliot Lake, ON
Hello;

I'm just getting into shooting black powder rifles, flintlocks to be exact and, I'm sure that everyone here who uses black powder, knows that it can be difficult to find a supplier, especially if you have to order online. The cost of HAZMAT shipping alone is enough to curl your toes. I have found a couple of possibilities here in Ontario, those being; http://www.cabelas.ca/product/13127/goex-black-powder I've tried numerous times to contact Cabelas.ca by email regarding their shipping price, since it doesn't seem that the shopping cart is adding HAZMAT shipping, but I've had no response. The price they list is $45./lb.
I also found this other supplier http://www.hummason.com/2016%20Price%20List.pdf They confirmed that the powder that they sell is also Goex, and it's only $23./lb. I have asked about the shipping charges, to my location, from them, and they have replied that it will be a flat rate of $140. for up to 300 lbs. So, the more I buy, the cheaper it would be for me. Of course, I wouldn't need anywhere near 300lbs, but I might go 10lbs, and that would last me for a long time.

I won't actually need the powder until the Spring, since I'm still in the process of collecting all the accessories that I will need. I'm just doing some research on the most cost efficient way of obtaining the black powder and, like I said, when I do, I will purchase enough to last me for years. Where does everyone else get their supply of black powder from? I'd be interested in adding some other possibilities to my list.
Alan.
 
Depending where you are in Ontario it's often more economical to "stop by" at one of the suppliers and buy a few pounds at a time.

Cabela's (at least used to) carry Goex. But they also charge 30'ish bucks in haz fees to ship it to you. But if you order into the store (Barrie/Ottawa) you can pick it up there with no fees.

There is also Hummason that you note in the (Hamilton'ish) area. Shooters Choice in Waterloo is where I get mine - I have to travel to Cambridge twice a year so pick mine up then.

And there is Higginson Powders in Hawkesbury (about an hour east of Ottawa).

And then actually somewhat local to me, Norris's in Westport Ontario (about 45 minutes north of Kingston) also normally has Goex in stock.

I'm sure there is a handful of others - if you post your location someone may know of one "close enough" that it would be worth the drive.
 
I've now added my location to my profile, however, it doesn't matter all that much in this case. I'm interested in all sources of black powder in Ontario. It never hurts to have options. :) I will check out every supplier available, and then decide which one suits my needs the best. Thanks to all that have replied so far.
 
The issue with black powder is that Transport Canada does not recognize the rather erroneously-prefixed "NA 0027" UN number that is used in the US which classifies it as a 4.1 flammable solid as long as it is in one pound tins. In Canada one pound or one ton of black powder is all 1.1D and very few carriers are qualified to ship it. It poses challenges for several industries indeed.
 
The issue with black powder is that Transport Canada does not recognize the rather erroneously-prefixed "NA 0027" UN number that is used in the US which classifies it as a 4.1 flammable solid as long as it is in one pound tins. In Canada one pound or one ton of black powder is all 1.1D and very few carriers are qualified to ship it. It poses challenges for several industries indeed.

Yes, I have been doing a lot of research, on everything to do with black powder guns, and I did read about this controversy. I do have family members who live close enough to one of the suppliers, and would be willing to pick up the powder for me, and bring it up, when they come to visit. However, I still would like to comprise a list of suppliers in Ontario, just for my own knowledge. I always like to have options, with everything I do, just in case. I've read a lot of info here on the forum, but I haven't yet seen a list of black powder suppliers. It would be a handy thing to have, and keep updated, for those like me, who are just getting started.
 
"make your own."

Ya, I actually did read a bit about that, however, it's not recommended. :) The ingredients area really quite simple. You have to make a slurry first, and then dry it out. Anyone here tried to make their own?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Black-Powder

I do love to be self-sufficient, but it looks like the powder we can make ourselves would not be potent enough.
 
Last edited:
I also just got a flintlock, and like you am trying to find a good supply. I bought 1lb from local Cabelas, but $50 seems awful pricey. I often go to Alberta, so maybe I can find a place that sells some there cheap and stock up.
 
I also just got a flintlock, and like you am trying to find a good supply. I bought 1lb from local Cabelas, but $50 seems awful pricey. I often go to Alberta, so maybe I can find a place that sells some there cheap and stock up.

Yep, it looks like picking it up from a supplier is the cheapest route to go. I may have to put in a request to my brother, who lives in Hamilton, to drop into that Hummason place, in Ancaster, and pick up some for me. It's only $23./lb. there, the cheapest I've seen it anywhere. I did take another look at the info on the web about making my own and, if I'm getting it at $23./lb. I think I'll opt for that instead. :)
 
"make your own."

Ya, I actually did read a bit about that, however, it's not recommended. :) The ingredients area really quite simple. You have to make a slurry first, and then dry it out. Anyone here tried to make their own?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Black-Powder

I do love to be self-sufficient, but it looks like the powder we can make ourselves would not be potent enough.

I made black powder in high school. It's rather simple. Trying to make a batch that's safe for your rifle is a different story.

We did use it in a home made cannon but the pressures would have been low (this is what I chose to believe, ignorance is bliss).
 
Making black powder is easy. Making GOOD black powder is very difficult. Legalities aside, there is far more science to it than just mixing the components together.

Charcoal is the most important element of black powder. You need one that's highly reactive with a large amount of hydrogen and oxygen trapped in the matrix structure of the carbon. Goex uses pine, most fireworkers prefer willow. The components are milled wet, pressed to several tons, dried and then corned, and the grains sorted. It's time consuming, laborious, not without risk, and there's no guarantee that your batches will approach the performance achieved by commercial manufacturers. The investment in the manufacturing hardware alone is a commitment, and also consider that Goex is insured.

It's a but spurious to state outright that making your own BP is illegal. Current legislation permits for home hobbyists to obtain their own manufacturing license under certain conditions. There are permitless provisions but I would prefer not to discuss them here; coincidentally I am in Ottawa for industry meetings and hope to have a clearer answer on that subject tomorrow.
 
I made black powder in high school. It's rather simple. Trying to make a batch that's safe for your rifle is a different story.

We did use it in a home made cannon but the pressures would have been low (this is what I chose to believe, ignorance is bliss).

Yep, I hear ya KRJ. I made it to 65 years old, and I'm not about to ruin that milestone by reverting to throwing caution to the wind, as I might have done in my younger days. I've had my share of close calls in life and I'm very grateful that I'm still here to enjoy it. I'll pay the $23./lb. :)
 
I got chance to brag, this is my life supply, :) Since you are not in rush, plan on visiting some gun shows and pick up some right there - along with other supplies you may need. Shipping is not an option.


BPKEG_7_.JPG

BPKEG_9_.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom