Antique Mold help identify

Doug-the-Plug

New member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
Location
Kelowna BC
picked up this little beauty. It measures just over .5 inch so Im thinking it may be a .58 cal? No idea..When I get batteries for my micrometer I'll get a better measurement. No # stamps just letters.

IMG_0069_zpsf39qg77c.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsojjun9ur.jpg

IMG_0071_zpslznsa7uq.jpg
 
Nice find. I'm thinking back then they didn't care as much about the quality of the projectile and didn't heat the moulds as much. That or they were way tougher than what my pansy hands can handle. LOL
 
Nice find. I'm thinking back then they didn't care as much about the quality of the projectile and didn't heat the moulds as much. That or they were way tougher than what my pansy hands can handle. LOL
Lead has to be +600F to flow.... the mold is going to be 300F after 10 pours. So I'm assuming they had handles of some sort for that mold - wooden or wet rags, or something.
 
That or they cold poured them and cooled them in between pours and dealt with a really crappie ball. That may also be why the advantage of the chewed ball. 

Maybe but people in those days didn't have time to waste like we do, especially the kind of people who poured their own musket balls. Cooling the mold down to the point you could handle it after every pour would take all day to cast 20 balls. I expect they used something to insulate the handles.
 
Back
Top Bottom