Old muzzleloader info please

CharlieF

New member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My grandfather supposedly found this old girl under a old barn he was tearing down in Niagara back in the thirties. I would love to know more about it. Anybody know what it is or how old it is from the pictures?

DSC_0018_zpsyert49kk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0020_zps455jutln.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0014_zpsbyrvslsi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0019_zpsgahtmofl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
If it is smooth bore standard percussion new land musket around 60 cal came after the Brown Bess but before the enfield rifled muskets were adopted
 
Last edited:
It looks like a 'Brown Bess' a British musket. This looks to be a converted flintlock (see where the lock is scooped out near the nipple where the pan and frizzen would be?) Is it smooth bore? .75 calibre? The broad arrow on the stock looks right but something about the stock doesn't seem right - too new maybe. Search for 'Brown Bess' and you will see what I mean. I am not an expert but there are my $0.02 check out this link http://www.ima-usa.com/british-east-india-company-model-f-musket-bayonet.html
 
Looks like a British Pattern 1839 Percussion Musket. I would have to see the nosecap area to be sure.
 
the pitting on the outside of the barrel seems out of keeping with the stock and lock. My guess would be that the stock and lock are from a different gun

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for all the replies. I'll post some better pictures when I get a chance. As far as the stock goes if it was swapped out it would have been a LONG time ago as its been hanging on a wall for over 80 years.
 
Here are some more pics. Talking to my Father today he is convinced that this gun was from the Fenian raids. I don't know anything about them other than what I learned from a quick Google search.

20170120_131914_zpszlgn2pbr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_131855_zpssaaolvjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_131922_zpssyhvdgq3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_131816_zps3aw7thf4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_131830_zps8i7yfyqd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_131840_zpszkqnngyr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132003_zpsfhedbxzb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132015_zpsrv0byyxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132033_zps0oe1jslx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]



20170120_132050_zps5v7ambpx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132115_zpsritamueu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132202_zpswshdb59i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20170120_132219_zps13izo9dt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Pattern 1839. The bayonet catch is missing from the nosecap. By the time of the Fenian Raids, rifled arms were the norm, I don't know if older obsolescent/obsolete arms may have been used.
 
Pattern 1839. The bayonet catch is missing from the nosecap. By the time of the Fenian Raids, rifled arms were the norm, I don't know if older obsolescent/obsolete arms may have been used.

I am leaning towards a P 42 because the locks on the p39 s were supposed to be modified bess locks and would have had a curved outer surface

cheers mooncoon
 
Yes, after seeing the new photos, I also think its a Pattern 42.

I just checked my Blackmore and Bailey books and my first guess was right, it is a Pattern 39 Musket with the first pattern lock plate. Green's post made me check my books!
 
Last edited:
That is quite the find. I love to see stuff like that come out from old barns in the Niagara region, it is just so interesting. This area of "Upper Canada" is rich with old structures and stories from the past. The best thing I've ever found in an old barn were some coon skulls and bull horns... lol.
 
This is a Pattern 1839 Musket. Notice how the top of lock plate is scooped out around the bolster. The P42 lock did not have the raised portion ahead of the bolster and is similar in profile to the P1853 lock.
The Tower armourers were expert at filling screw holes and it is necessary to remove the lock to see if it is a conversion.
The P1839 was also newly made with new parts into the 1850s.
 
Back
Top Bottom