Sale on jim shockey's gold black powder substitute 50 cal

Geez, I thought you guys would be scooping this stuff up... Is there something about this powder I didn't know???

Cheers
Jay
 
Not a too stellar review on chuckhawks...but I haven't tried it yet.Then on the other hand, what is to loose at that price?

ht tp://www.chuckhawks.com/american_pioneer_powder.htm

CG
 
I have run this stuff for a couple years now and have not encountered any of this then say that the loose stuff is a bit large.

Took a deer two years ago at 165m with mine without issue.
 
Geez, I thought you guys would be scooping this stuff up... Is there something about this powder I didn't know???

Cheers
Jay

It has been on sale at that price since last year (about 6 months) and there is probably a good reason that these ascorbic acid based black powder substitute propellants are not selling that well.

They often are erratic in consistency and velocity, very hygroscopic (absorb water), very corrosive of brass, the sticks tend to vary wildly in weight and have a limited shelf life.

Other than that they do go bang and are cleaner than most other black powder substitute type powders on the market and at this low price it is worth trying out to see if it works for you. Just hold off buying in bulk before you find it works well for your intended purposes.
 
Last edited:
So... Good for practise & clean up, but don't use it if the moisture in the air might get to it? A damp day etc???

Cheers
Jay
 
So... Good for practise & clean up, but don't use it if the moisture in the air might get to it? A damp day etc???

Cheers
Jay

Yeah that probably is a good call Jay, My thoughts concerning the many reports of erratic and uneven performance may be related to how much moisture the stuff has absorbed. And be careful of it around guns with brass furniture or using it in brass cases when reloading old centrefire black powder ammo.
 
Back
Top Bottom