Best for future?

89diesel

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
SK
What do you think is the best antique to buy for future investment purposes?
Which ones will go up in value, which will be duds, what are the hidden gems?
 
Basically any milsurp. Lee enfield and K31 have already risen quite a in the last few years. The mosin is slowly rising. The sks might be a dud just because there are so many. the sks will still be worth more later than it is now but I don't think it as desirable as a rifle used in the world wars
 
Basically any milsurp. Lee enfield and K31 have already risen quite a in the last few years. The mosin is slowly rising. The sks might be a dud just because there are so many. the sks will still be worth more later than it is now but I don't think it as desirable as a rifle used in the world wars

He said antique... and this is the BP/antique section...
 
Webley revolvers seem to go up the most, in the last six or so years since I became interested in them anyway. If Turd the Lesser bans all handguns expect the prices for any antique to skyrocket.
 
Webley revolvers seem to go up the most, in the last six or so years since I became interested in them anyway. If Turd the Lesser bans all handguns expect the prices for any antique to skyrocket.

If he bans all handguns what makes you think antiques would be spared?
 
If he bans all handguns what makes you think antiques would be spared?

Even in England where they have a hand gun ban they are still allowed antique hand guns mind you I donty think they are allowed to shoot them lol
 
Did the OP say anything about antique status? No, just antiques

You don't call infidel out for recommending milsurps?

In firearm parlance, antique refers to the ones that have actual antique status, not just any old firearm thats ### years old.

Also, there are antique status Webley revolvers. I assumed he was referring to them. Last, I wasn't trying to specifically call anyone out, I was just pointing out that the OP is likely looking for suggestions about real antiques, not just old guns.
 
To the original OP: Anything "Colt" that you can get for cheap... Smaller house guns & rim fires can still be found at a decent price, sometimes... 1877's are around every once & awhile. 73's & 78's are already up in price but if one can be found at a good price, grab it! There not loosing money. The later big bores are going up as well. Any Colt long gun or shotgun is already expensive...

S&W, Remington, Starr or Roger & Spencer, or any other civil war gun I have failed to mention always had a market...

IMO: It maybe a bad investment, but it's fun!
 
I must apologize for not being clear in my OP. I was asking about antique status only.
I guess I should have worded it a little better. Sorry about that.

It also is interesting about the WW2 stuff. I hadn't thought about ones like that.
 
If he bans all handguns what makes you think antiques would be spared?

Because antique status firearms are not firearms under the firearms act, just the criminal code (unless you use it in the commission of a crime, such as armed robbery). Don't need any license to own them, therefore they are the only actual firearm we really own without the gov'ts permission. That's why I figure they wont be considered as "handguns" for ban purposes. Heck, how many cops or politicians even know there is an antique class of firearms?? Very few. Even the media only thinks there is prohibited, restricted and non restricted classes.

Restricted guns, and to a lesser extent, non restricted guns, we don't really own in my opinion as the govt can swoop in and remove your license, ergo your "ability" to legally "own" guns. Having said that, I don't give a #### whether they ban antiques and NR or not, I'm not turning any in (that I may or may not own). Restricted guns, well, we don't have a choice as they know where they are.
 
Last edited:
Pure speculation here, perhaps rifles that have an association with Canadiana such as the Snider or short lever Martini Henry. We've seen Canadian marked No.1s and Long Branch No.4s skyrocket over the last few years, how long until the older generation of milsurp gets the same attention?
 
Because antique status firearms are not firearms under the firearms act, just the criminal code (unless you use it in the commission of a crime, such as armed robbery). Don't need any license to own them, therefore they are the only actual firearm we really own without the gov'ts permission. That's why I figure they wont be considered as "handguns" for ban purposes. Heck, how many cops or politicians even know there is an antique class of firearms?? Very few. Even the media only thinks there is prohibited, restricted and non restricted classes.

Restricted guns, and to a lesser extent, non restricted guns, we don't really own in my opinion as the govt can swoop in and remove your license, ergo your "ability" to legally "own" guns. Having said that, I don't give a #### whether they ban antiques and NR or not, I'm not turning any in (that I may or may not own). Restricted guns, well, we don't have a choice as they know where they are.

The gov't can change the laws on antiques just as easily as they can firearms. Hell, the argument can be made that they are the real public safety issue cause anyone can buy one. Its a stupid argument, obviously, but so are most other arguments they try to make, so it seems right up their alley in my books.

Pure speculation here, perhaps rifles that have an association with Canadiana such as the Snider or short lever Martini Henry. We've seen Canadian marked No.1s and Long Branch No.4s skyrocket over the last few years, how long until the older generation of milsurp gets the same attention?

I think what you are seeing is the Enfields going from a dime-a-dozen to uncommon to almost rare (for a good one with full wood, ect) whereas the really old stuff will have already hit the realm of rare and desireable a while ago. I don't think the prices on those will go up as fast as the enfields of late, relatively speaking. Doesn't mean they can't be a good investment, just don't expect the value to double in a decade like Enfields have.

To the OP, I buy guns as a cash sink, not an investment. If I need quick cash, I can always liquidate a few, but I don't expect to make any money buying and holding onto stuff. Plus, I like to shoot my guns, and if I was going to buy an antique handgun it would be for the express purpose of being able to legally shoot a handgun on crown land, and using an old gun doesn't help with collector value...

There are some things that will always have a market though. Anything related to the military will be desirable, particularly American stuff, so I'd probably look for an old Colt.
 
I think there is a trade off between high end guns, inflation and the ability to sell them. There are a number of antique guns which in good condition, will sell for $5000 or more. No doubt their price will go up even higher in the future. The other side of the coin is the question of how many customers are there for such guns? I think the number of people prepared to pay such high prices are relatively few and that means that you might have a long wait to sell an expensive gun. I think the better choice would be guns which currently sell in the $1000 - $2000 range because the number of buyers is likely to be considerably more. To some extent I would avoid handguns as an investment because of the risk that they could be banned at any time, with the result that their resale price could drop to near zero. Even now for example, recent policy of the RCMP is that a handgun has to have been originally made in an antique caliber to qualify for antique status. In other words a pre 1898 Colt manufactured in 45 long Colt and rebarrelled and rechambered to 41 long Colt would remain restricted while the identical gun manufactured in 41 long colt and changed to say 44 russian would remain an antique. I think any handgun currently with a RCMP letter stating that it is an antique could still be declared modern and restricted or prohibited if it came to official attention

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom